Keyless entry

I just purchased my first explorer. It is a 1997 4WD automatic. I have a (possibly dumb) question about keyless entry. The vehicle seems to have manual locks. Each door and the rear must be hand locked/unlocked and there is no unlock button for all doors. However when I went through the owners manual in the back I found a plastic card from Ford that refers to the keyless entry number for my vehicle.

Is it possible that this vehicle is keyless entry capable already, and if so how do I get a keyless entry dongle for my Explorer?

i realize that being a used car, it's possilbe this is not the original owners manual/info but thought I'd give it a shot.

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
ChrisC

On mine, it has a keypad on the door that the number on that card unlocks. Do you have the keypad? FM

Reply to
Frank Mancuso

No keypad. This vehicle doesn't have power windows or mirrors (does have cruise) so I assumed it didn't have keyless either...until I saw that keycode.

-Chris

Reply to
ChrisC

If the car doesn't have power locks, it will not have keyless entry...

Reply to
Jim Warman

I also bought a used 1996 Explorer that has power locks. No keypad. Is it possible I have keyless entry? How do I check?

thanks!!

Reply to
noone cares

I also bought a used '97 and it does have power door locks but no keypad and I would like to know how to determine if it has remote keyless entry. Someone suggested a procedure that was a combination of turning the ignition key and pushing the door lock button in a certain sequence but I got the impression from the owner's manual that it was for power seat memory and not remote codes. I don't have power seats.

Reply to
Ulysses

If there are no electric door solenoids to lock/unlock the doors, how can you even consider the posibility of remote operation. Ford doesn't use PFM only airplanes use PFM!

Reply to
syclone