Keyless Entry

I recently bought a used 2000 XLT with keyless entry. It also has key locks on the front doors and tailgate. The key opens the tailgate, but doesn't turn the front door locks.

This is the first vehicle I've had with keyless entry- is it normal to have the standard door locks be non-functional with keyless entry? Just curious.

Oh yeah, one other question. I notice the headlights come on automatically. So I guess the idea is you only need to turn on the headlights manually if you want them on in the daytime?

All this fancy stuff and they put the parking brake release where I can barely reach it... and I have LONG arms...

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

I jave a ford 2000 xls the key opens the tailgate and the front door locks. but i have to jiggle the key to open the doors.. if you have anither key try it, or you can go get a new key cut for the doors, just get a key withot the chip and carry it in your wallett incase you lock the keys in the explorer.. the auto headlight is a option that mine don't have... My explorer has

1110000 miles on it no oil leake whatsoever, i might trade it in on a 2000 explorer eddie bauer with 57000 miles on it....

Reply to
Eddie Collins

The front door locks may just be stuck - they have probably never been used due to the keyless entry. Try squirting light oil into the keyholes. If that does not work your best bet is probably to do some dismantling. Got mine (1994) loose by removing them from car and leaving overnight in a bath of light oil.

Ivar Petur

Reply to
Ívar Pétur Guðnason

You door lock question has been answered quite well..... (FWIW, if something "seems" abnormal, there is a very good chance that it is).

As for the headlights (and this is very important from a safety standpoint)..... IF you have "autolamp", there will be an indication at the light switch. There will be an "extra" position counterclockwise from the "OFF" position - the lights will all come on in the position. If, however, you DON'T have autolamp but DO have daytime running lamps, your tail lamps will NOT be illuminated and you run the risk of collision at night.

To check, start the car normally and simply walk around the car checking the operation of the lamps (FWIW, conscientious operators will perform regular walk-around inspection looking for obvious concerns (low/worn tires, non-functional lamps, puddles.... obvious visual cues...) - things that affect our personal safety).

Reply to
Jim Warman

I have 2000 non-XLT. The control for the automatic headlights is intuitively located on the bottom of the rear-view-mirror! I turned the feature off (move the lever all the way to the left), because the headlights turn on automatically, but not the tail lights.

Reply to
Greg Berchin

Greg, You might be mistaken. When the auto headlights come on, the taillights also illuminate, which they should.

You are correct-the control is located on the bottom of rearview mirror. Note that a green indicator light on the mirror also comes on to indicate that the auto lamps have been illuminated. At least, that's the way mine work.

2000 Limited 5.0 V8, 79K+ miles

I have 2000 non-XLT. The control for the automatic headlights is intuitively located on the bottom of the rear-view-mirror! I turned the feature off (move the lever all the way to the left), because the headlights turn on automatically, but not the tail lights.

Reply to
oklaman

If I bought this car from a used car lot, I would be back complaining to them to fix the problem. The keys should open the car doors. This is a common problem which has developed on my 97 XLT. I have been blaming a few of the keys that I had made.

No

It is on the bottom of the rear view mirror. You can turn it off if you want. I like the feature that it stays on for 30 seconds when I am walking into the house at night.

Reply to
Art McClinton

If I bought this car from a used car lot, I would be back complaining to them to fix the problem. The keys should open the car doors. This is a common problem which has developed on my 97 XLT. I have been blaming a few of the keys that I had made.

No

It is on the bottom of the rear view mirror. You can turn it off if you want. I like the feature that it stays on for 30 seconds when I am walking into the house at night.

Reply to
oklaman

Thanks to everyone for the info. I'll try lubing the door locks. I tried using as much force as I thought prudent and they didn't budge, but it makes sense that the previous owners just used the remote and keypad. I bought it cheap on Craig's List from a private party, not from a dealer so I expected some minor glitches like this.

I will drag my butt out from behind the steering wheel and visually check how the auto headlights work. I did verify that the lights worked before I bought it, but that was in daylight. It does have driving lights, which I'm not used to either, so it's possible that those are coming on. I think I'll turn this feature off if it's only the driving lights coming on.

If it turns all the lights on, I'd like that. I'm lazy. ;-)

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

To be honest, if your car has daytime running lights, I would leave them be.... I cannot recall how many times that the sight of oncoming DRLs has kept me from passing, even in bright daylight, when it wasn't safe to do so. Disable them? Not on a bet....

DRLs work!!! Without a word of a lie, these are about as simple a safety device as you'll ever have (hell, you don't even have to buckle them). FWIW, DRLs are mandatory on all vehicles registered in Canada since about MY 1992.

Reply to
Jim Warman

DRLs work!!! Without a word of a lie, these are about as simple a safety device as you'll ever have (hell, you don't even have to buckle them). FWIW, DRLs are mandatory on all vehicles registered in Canada since about MY 1992.

Reply to
oklaman

I meant that if the auto headlight feature is only turning on the running lights and not the headlights and tail lights. That would be dangerous. I'm a firm believer in safety too. Been wearing my seatbelt religiously since the 70's.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

Hmmmm. Well, then, if that's the case, then it appears that that particular feature simply doesn't work on my Explorer. All this time I just assumed that it was not one of Ford's "better ideas", and I shut it off.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Berchin

Greg-to make sure I haven't been driving around for 7 years with no taillights, I double checked. The taillights come on when the auto headlights come on. It wouldn't make sense otherwise.

Hmmmm. Well, then, if that's the case, then it appears that that particular feature simply doesn't work on my Explorer. All this time I just assumed that it was not one of Ford's "better ideas", and I shut it off.

Greg

Reply to
oklaman

I agree. But mine doesn't work that way. I just assumed that it was designed that way, since the tail lights come on when I use the manual switch. Now it appears that something isn't working right on mine.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Berchin

If your autolamp is like my 1998 you should have a slider on your rear view mirror (automatic dim with compass) that says autolamp that controls the headlight delay time when you turn off the car. The actual headlight switch has no indication.

Reply to
Al Williams