keys

Does anybody know where I can get a key made for a 1998 Explorer at a reasonable price? I went to the Ford dealer and they said it was going to cost me $65 to get one made. It would be $25 just for the key and the rest would be just in labor programming it! I can't see paying that much money for 1 damn key. I have one key but I'd feel safer with two just in case one gets broke or lost. Any suggestion out there? Thanks.

Reply to
Nate

If you had an extra key made when you purchased the car, it would be a simple task. Unfortunately, to program another key, you need tp possess two keys already programmed. Some locksmiths*may* have the necessary equipment for your case, but you will have to call around to be sure.

Jim Warman

A hush fell over the crowd when, "Sy Cohen" stepped up to the podium and announced:

owners manual has complete instructions for adding an additional key. The only problem is that I believe you must already have two keys in order to program the third. I'm not sure that you can program the second key yourself.

Personally, I think this whole key issue is a perfect example of the prevention being worse than the cure. Seems to me that all this key "stuff" just prevents the *owner* from starting the truck. A good slide hammer and a screw driver is the typical "key" most thieves use anyway.

Reply to
01dynanospam

The owners manual has complete instructions for adding an additional key. The only problem is that I believe you must already have two keys in order to program the third. I'm not sure that you can program the second key yourself.

Isn't the PATS intended to make such tactics useless? Without the key, the screwdriver won't start the vehicle.

Reply to
bill

A hush fell over the crowd when, snipped-for-privacy@cox.net stepped up to the podium and announced:

The owners manual has complete instructions for adding an additional key. The only problem is that I believe you must already have two keys in order to program the third. I'm not sure that you can program the second key yourself.

never mind. I checked around and found this on the NTSA website (ref:

(search for "explorer")

Read: Manufacturer/model/#stolen/#manufactureded/theft rate

FORD MOTOR CO FORD EXPLORER 1,001 383,386 2.6109

It's *possible* that all 1,001 of the 2002 Explorers were stolen with the keys in the ignition, however, I'm more apt to believe that a higher percentage of them were merely hot wired.

Reply to
01dynanospam

The owners manual has complete instructions for adding an additional key. The only problem is that I believe you must already have two keys in order to program the third. I'm not sure that you can program the second key yourself.

Possibly. However, IIRC, hot-wiring needs to be done under the hood, not from the cab. Then, of course, there's the fact that not all 'reported' car thefts are actually thefts. Plus, it's amazing how many really are stolen using the keys; check any Circle K, 7-11, etc., to see how many cars are left running (with children inside) "just for a minute".

Of course, if a pro wants your car, he'll get it.

Reply to
bill

A hush fell over the crowd when, snipped-for-privacy@pipping.com stepped up to the podium and announced:

The owners manual has complete instructions for adding an additional key. The only problem is that I believe you must already have two keys in order to program the third. I'm not sure that you can program the second key yourself.

It's amazing isn't it? In this day and age we still have people who think that leaving a car running with kids inside "just for a minute" is perfectly ok. Just like the folk that think seat belts are unsafe. And facts be damned!

very true.

Reply to
01dynanospam

Be aware that the addition of a remote starting system adds an extra PATS "pill" into the wiring harness. A smart thief can recognize the signs of a remote starter and can use this extra device against us..... of course, this all adds extra time to the deed - exactly what a smart thief would steer clear of.

Quite frankly, I believe that most of these types of theft occur using that "spare" key that some people hide in an 'unexpected' area using one of those magnetic key caddies..... I see them all the time when the car is on the lift...... and no, there are no unique places to hide them. The thieves have that down pat.

Being the anal sort, my biggest problem is remembering which pocket I put my keys in. The safe bet is to use either the key or the fob to lock the doors (never push the button down and close the door) and you will never, ever leave your keys in the car.

is what you get when you expected something else.

Reply to
Jim Warman