Knob on Idle Air Control Valve

Anyone know what the knob on the IAC Valve of a 4.0 SOHC engine does? I noticed that there is no knob on the IAC valve for the 5.0 V8. Just wondering why there is a black knob on the side of the IAC for the SOHC engine.

Thanks

Reply to
Xx

I've been wondering also - twisting the know didn't seem to help (or hurt) things. I just replaced mine on my 96 Explorer and the replacement didn't have the knob.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Holcomb

That knob appears to have no function. I turn it 10 times both ways after cleaning the IAC and it seems as it did nothing. By the way, did you clean inside the intake plumbing where the IAC mounts? I noticed that there was a buildup of carbon here as well as in the IAC valve itself.

Reply to
Xx

What year? I have a 99 XLT SOHC and I don't see a knob on mine.

Reply to
SizzleMP

'98 Sport SOHC.

Reply to