L1440 Diag Code

I have had an occasional failure with the ABS on my 2003 Explorer. When I turn off the ignition and then on again, the problem disappears. I brought the vehicle in for a diag today and they reported that the ABS sensors were all okay, but they were getting a code L1440 which they tell me they have never seen before. With Ford being closed today they could not get me more information. Is anyone familiar with this diag code? Thanks.

Reply to
Paul M

No such thing as an "LXXXX" code. P codes are powertrain, B are body, C are chassis and U codes are network codes.

I have however, seen people think the "odometer trick" actually means a whole bunch... can't speak for anywhere else but I have yet to see any documentation. At any rate, these codes would only deal with the cluster and not anything else on the network.

If your ABS light goes out when you turn the key of but comes back on after the car reaches 5 or so mph, it is most likely speed sensor related. ABS codes are proprietary.... to retrieve them the scan tool must be capable of accessing the ABS module. Most bargain scan tools are capable of generic OBD2 codes only and are useless in retrieving codes from proprietary modules (these include ABS, HEC, VSM, RCM, PATS, etc...)

Sorry for the acronyms... if anyone wants, I can cobble a list...

Reply to
Jim Warman

I also have a ABS problem. Key resets abs light on my 2003 explorer. I also noticed that I had cruise control failure before ABS light started comming on. The cruise was intermittent but now it fails to respode to coast command from button. Could this be speed sensor related? Mine only comes on after braking usually a minute after braking. Thx in advance for any thoughts.

Reply to
savagespeed

If the ABS light turns itself off when the key is shut off and doesn't return until you start driving, it is *usually* a wheel speed sensor problem Scan for codes as this will give us an idea as to which sensor is the problem. Caution... it's not always the sensor....for the DIYer, replacing parts might be considered part of the diagnostic procedure. I am not allowed that luxury.... I can only suggest methods to reduce the needless expense.

We start with the codes, we decide if the codes are causal or symptomatic and design our diagnosis from there.

Reply to
Jim Warman