Larger rims ???

Thinking of 18² rims for 1997 Exploder.

Pros and/or cons?

MTIA

Reply to
H. M. Leary

CON, the ABS will no longer work effectively.

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher

Really? I thought the ABS worked on relative RPMs, not absolute.

Reply to
Big Bill

I also asked this question, although it was to Ford specifically, I was told that by altering the rims and or tires in direct relation to the distance between center and the road surface, the ABS system would provide false readings to the computer possibly causing a failure during a braking emergency.

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher

I forgot something:

The Abs consists of a piece of plastic that is attached behind the rotor, this plastic has otches cut out in it. Attached to the arm somewhere is the sensor, the sensor reads RPMs, YES, but as in your speedo when installing larger tires it will increase ? the rpm's at center. This may be worded incorrectly but the theroy is correct. Ask anyone who put larger tires on their truck and they will tell you that their speedo is off by about 10 MPH.

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher

Reply to
Searcher

That plastic piece you're describing is the ABS sensor, not the ABS. The ABS itself takes data from that sensor, and determines when to apply the ABS braking, using a computer.

When you brake, the RPMs of the wheel decrease; the slower you're going, the lower the RPMs are. When a wheel skids, the RPMs drop much faster; this is the principle the ABS works on. If larger wheels could damage the ABS by simply lowering the RPMs, how would ABS work? The RPMs lower when you brake. All putting larger wheels on does is reduce the initial RPMs when you start braking, which is exactly what happens when you start to brake at a lower speed anyway. IOW, larger wheels do not affect ABS because the ABS doesn't care how fast you're going (unlike the speedometer); it cares about how fast the wheels decellerate.

Reply to
Big Bill