Leaking Transfer Case

My 2003 Mountaineer seems to have a leaking transfer case. At least I think that's what's leaking...it's the boxy thing that the rear axles (right and left) are connected to in the middle. It's not leaking badly, but IS leaking.

Is this an expensive repair? Any insight? The vehicle has 74000 hard Pittsburgh miles on it, but has been well maintained.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

I think you are describing your rear differential. If you have not changed the oil in it it's probably past due. Check your owner's manual for service intervals. If you are not towing with it I'd guess it should be done every

40,000 miles or so.

Generally the cover is removed to drain the oil and is resealed with high-temp silicone so unless the cover is cracked or something it's just part of the service.

The transfer case is somewhere near the middle of the vehicle and the drive shaft from the rear wheels connects to it.

Reply to
Ulysses

Never had this done. It sounds like you are saying that new fluid and resealing should solve the problem. I'm due for an oil change so I'll have the dealer do this as well.

Ulysses wrote:

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Never had this done. It sounds like you are saying that new fluid and resealing should solve the problem. I'm due for an oil change so I'll have the dealer do this as well.

Ulysses wrote:

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Sorry for the late response but here's a word of caution. At 45,000 on a gently used 2003 AWD XLT I had leaking diff seals. It wasn't bad either but I didn't want to mess with it. $477 later ($97 parts) I had new seals, THAT LEAKED WORSE THAN THE ORIGINALS!! Three return trips to Ford discovering the replacement seals recommended DID NOT FIT THE AXLE CORRECTLY. My dealer had to check with a service adviser at Ford and they issued a service advisory correcting the part # of the replacement seals. My dealer said this had never happened before with the replacement seals, Yeah right.

Reply to
Foon

Thanks for that story. My car was fixed a few weeks ago and seems fine.