Leaving the world of Explorers behind, perhaps...

In a couple of years I'll finally give up on my '91 Explorer (and its endless litany of problems - see numerous posts in this ng :) and start shopping for a regular cab, regular bed pickup (which will better suit my current and future needs than the SUV - if I get another SUV as well my spouse will drive it). My only real requirements is that it (a) must be reliable, (b) have four-wheel drive, and (c) cost me no more than $16K or so. A back seat would be nice but is not necessary. I would really be happy if the bed could take 4x8 sheets flat. I am not prejudiced for or against any make, foreign or domestic. However, it will spend much time on ratty dirt and gravel country roads, so it needs to be fairly rugged (and navigating those roads during the rainy season - particularly if pulling trailers - does demand 4WD). What are your recommendations, new and / or used?

If you want to recommend new trucks in the 20 - 22K price range, they'll be priced about right in two years, so please feel free to do so. However I would prefer to buy new if I could. I see new regular cab, regular bed pickups all the time in the paper for 12 and 13. I'm sure that no one ever actually gets to buy one for that price but given that I don't think hoping to buy new at 16 is too unreasonable.

Reply to
John D. Goulden

Hmmm. A new 4WD pickup, full size, for $16,000? I looked at a new F150 Extra Cab 4X4 and they were around $36,000. Now I'm looking at '98s and '99s for around $10K-$12K. I want the 4 wheel traction control but I don't know what year they started making it.

Reply to
Ulysses