Limited (barely) slip differential

I recently purchased a used 2001 Explorer Sport Trac with a 4.10 ratio limited slip differential. I've seen the paperwork from when the truck was purchased off the lot. The differential really was paid for.

I used to drive a 1985 Toyota pickup with an aftermarket Downey limited slip differential.

Last weekend, when exploring in the new truck, I high centered it at an unexpectedly steep drop-off. Tried backing out of it, but wheels were spinning. I got out and examined the tire marks. One of the front wheels and one of the back wheels had been spinning. The other back wheel had plenty of pressure against the ground, but wasn't doing a damned thing. I'm quite sure my old Downey would have backed me right out of this.

So I get home and I do the old test of jacking up both back wheels, putting the shifter in neutral, and hand spinning one rear tire. Sure enough, the other back tire spun in the same direction, indicating limited slip. However, when I dropped one back tire and hand spun the remaining rear tire, it was exceptionally easy -- very little effort.

So my question is: is this really Ford's lame excuse for a limited slip differential? Or had the previous owner burned up the differential's clutch? Is there some kind of torque spec in this or some other test that I can use to claim a warrantee repair?

Thanks in advance,

Alan Geist asgeist at ichips dot intel dot com

Reply to
A Geist

If you had one rear wheel completely in the air, then the limited slip might not have kicked in. The usual fix is to lightly apply the parking brake to add some preload to the system. On the otherhand, I suspect your clutches might be worn out. I am on my third Ford with a limit slip rear end and I 've never had any trouble with them working (one vehicle had over

140,000 miles), but I never remember having one rear wheel completely off the ground either. See:

This reference has extensive quotes from the Ford Service Manual but you have to read down to see them.

Regards,

Ed White

A Geist wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

Breakaway torque is is 20 ft/lb minimum..... Be reminded that the Explorers are ill suited for serious off-roading in stock form.

For a serious limited slip, check out

Jim Warman

Which is available from your friendly Ford dealer and fits nicely into the

8.8 inch case of the solid axle. The only thing is the recommended ring gear bolts are a bit long. The performance is smooth, just watch out as the vehicle will now go were you point the front wheels. Benefits include reduction of tire wear, too.

Also, if you do high center it, a light tap of the brakes will increase the traction of the Torsen on the tractive wheel. This is due to the safety design in the case of the vehicle is on a jack and slips into gear.

Reply to
rakster

I put an Eaton L/S in my '99 sport a few years back,and that's also a decent setup. that Torsen is really nice though !

I really wish they would market a "front" system for the odd Dana 35 I have ?? Torsen has made a few of them for a racing team,and a few of the reps have them installed....but all they say is "just not enough interest" for them.

Reply to
anonymizer

I forgot to mention that I tried the parking brake trick. Didn't help.

But thanks for the reference.

Alan Geist

Reply to
A Geist