Links For Propane/LPG Conversion in USA?

I have searched google, truck forums, yahoo, and the Yellow pages and cannot find any place that does propane conversion on cars in Southern California or even the USA for that matter. Why is that? A few days ago propane was $1.30/gal and gas was $2.99.

Anyone know of any links where I can get some information and find out if it can even be done on a fuel injected engine?

Thanks.

Reply to
Ulysses

But, how many gallons of propane does it take to go just as far as on 1 gallon of gas?

Reply to
Herb Kauhry

From the information I *did* find it's supposedly about the same.

I also read that there is a 20% loss of HP but that was old technology. I just can't find the hows and whys.

Reply to
Ulysses

I think it costs about $2500 to convert a car. I looked into it very briefly and found what you did, there doesn't seem to be anyplace to get it done for cars. All I could find were some conversion kits for generators and pumps.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

The EPA has probably made it virtually impossible to do this legally.

Reply to
Herb Kauhry

Ouch. Well that explains the lack of interest.

Reply to
Ulysses

They were doing a lot of them here in AZ several years ago because our brain dead legislature passed a law that paid the FULL cost of the conversion and then some. So you could buy a regular truck and pay $30K or you could buy the same truck converted to run on both gas and LPG and it only wound up costing you about $17K. As soon as they repealed the law (it was going to bankrupt the state) the conversion companies' (one of which was owned by relatives of the legislator who created teh law) dried up and blew away. And they were only putting 4 gallon LPG tanks on them so it would only get you about 70 miles down the road before you switched back to gasoline.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

When I go get my small propane tanks filled for my BBQ and RV I occasionally see commercial trucks that run on propane, but very seldom. It sounds like it's just not economically viable for the most part.

I heard some time back that cars that are converted to run on natural gas no longer have to get smog checks (California). I wonder if it's also true for propane. That would be worth something right there.

Reply to
Ulysses