Lock Malfunction on Driver's Side on '98 Explorer

Anyone else run up against lock malfunctioning on driver's side door. Keyless entry started to malfunction. Other doors lock w/o any problem but cannot lock driver's side whether I try using key in lock, keyless entry, or the U/L switch on armrest. Will be taking it into Ford to be repaired, but this is the last thing I expected to go wrong on my 1998 Explorer. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Reply to
Artisanwomyn

RON & MAGGIE

Thanks Ron. Glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I wouldn't have expected the door lock to malfunction before other items. I bought the Ex used with 46,000 miles on it. I am looking forward to a Land Rover next go around. Haven't had the door repaired as yet, but at least I have an idea how much it will cost. Thanks again.

Reply to
Artisanwomyn

Am I reading correctly that the servo on the driver's door is just not locking and unlocking the door?

Can you hear the servo moving when you hit the button? If so, take a look at the edge of the door and make sure the rived holding the mount in place has not sheared.

That happened on the passenger front door of my '97. Cost me about a quarter to put a screw in place after taking the whole thing apart. That was a couple hour job.

Good luck,

Dave

Reply to
Just Me

The door lock itself was worn out, the thing you put the key in. The door would not unlock with the key or the keyless as the lock assembly will move with all functions. My brain told me it was an easy fix, ha, should have left it alone and had it done right the first time. I broke the door lock motor in removal and that made the cost go higher. As for the Land Rover my son had one, $60,000 + for junk. Less than one year old and all the power steering hoses, metal ends, and A/C hoses were rusty under the hood. GPS quit and the thing leaked water all over. He had to give it away as resale is so poor, good for the dealer but poor for you at sale time. I pull a bass boat and have had very little problems with my Explorer. Have over 127,000 miles and no major problems. Heater blend door and key lock are the only big ticket items I had to replace. Rear brakes are original but shocks are RS 5000's.

R> Thanks Ron. Glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I wouldn't have

Reply to
RON & MAGGIE

The Land Rover Doors will fail in about 2000 miles.

Reply to
Sy Cohen

Ron, took my Explorer in to have broken lock checked out. Will cost $250 to have repaired. At first they said it would cost $135, then got a call saying it will need parts that they have to order, I forget the name of the part that they need. Had no idea I would be spending a $250 to have a lock on a door repaired. I went on a rant to the service mgr as to my gripes with the car since I had it. Things that I got stuck with that should have been working, i.e., light on radio seldom lights up showing time and radio station.

Surprised to hear this about LR. Will do more research on the vehicle before taking the plunge. If I win the lottery, then maybe. hah!!!

Thanks again.

Reply to
Artisanwomyn

Have You already check the bar that connects the actuator with the lock´s mechanism? Sometimes, this bar is loosen up from it´s original position, cause it is in the power window way. You just need to unscrew the bar, put it in a good position (try opening and closing your window)... and voilá.

Reply to
jbarquer