Looking for advice to buy newer Explorer

I own a 97 Limited 4WD SOHC with 118k miles and i've been told by a shop that the transmission went. The fluid is a dark nasty color and when it gets hot it stops moving. If I let it cool it drives again but then stops when it gets hot. Is it in fact toast and needs a complete rebuild? If the tranny is dead I don't think it's worth the ~$2500 to rebuild it since the truck has a few other problems that I don't feel like fixing (harsh ride, blend door).

So, if that's the case I'm looking to trade it in for something newer but I'd like to not spend any more than $10,000 so that puts me in the

2001 and lower category. I liked my SOHC with the 5 speed tranny and it's decent gas mileage so I think I want to stick with that again unless the consensus of the group is to go with the 5.0. Basically, I'm looking for years to stay away from and common problems that I can check for when I go to look at one. I know these things are notorious for blown trannys so I'd like to avoid losing another one if possible. What year did they "solve" the blend door problem? Is it easy enough to tell if the heater box has been replaced or not? If I buy from a dealer is it worth it to buy a warranty with it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And if enough people tell me that the 2002 is reliable enough then I might just splurge and get one of those.

Thanks, Dave Earle

Reply to
davidearle1

Go for the '02, you won't look back. There's too many improvments to the '02's and newer. We went from a '98 to a new '02 eddie baurer, still have it with 42000 miles. wth

Reply to
wth

Go for the 2002. It's vastly improved from the 2001. I had two of them...mine and my wife's...they never gave me any grief. Traded 'em in last year for two 05's.

Al in Poughkeepsie

Reply to
Alan E. Seelbach

Go for the 2002 I just bought one with 89,000 kms on it and have put on

6,000 since I got it! With no problems. I just got it seviced ( I suggest you do it right away for the transfer case and differencial fluids and my air filter was wrecked) It is much improved from the earlier years. I ahve the Eddie Bauer but they all are I am told.

Good Luck!

P.S. I got it for $14,500.00 Canadian all taxes and extras in

Reply to
HighVolt