Loose battery connection or tuneup needed?

I have a '93 Explorer Sport and just recently noticed that the engine surges when it is in either drive or reverse and the needle on the battery gauge will dip for just a short bit (less than a second). Curiosity got the better of me tonight on the way home and, when I stopped to get some gas, I popped the hood and touched around the battery connections on the posts and moved the battery ever so slightly. On the way home (not very far) I didn't notice the battery needle jump, but there is still the slight surge in RPMs which most likely are normal.

I have had the Explorer for a little over a year now, and don't have any idea when it may have had its last tuneup. Any thoughts? Thanks, as always, in advance for your input.

Jarrod

Reply to
Jennifer Smith

A bad connection on the battery is more likely to cause difficult starting.

Also, when the engine is running, the alternator is supplying all the voltage the vehicle needs.

What about at night, do the lights sometimes dim slightly?

A possibility is a faulty alternator or maybe an intermittent fault in the charging circuit. That would explain the gauge fluctuating, but I don't know how that would cause surging.

HTH Trefor

Reply to
Trefor

Air conditioner clutch engaging/disengaging?

Bill =================

Trefor wrote:

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

In my case , on my '94, those were the symptoms of the battery itself dieing.

It would start right up, run just long enough to get onto the main, busy street, then it would begin bucking, stalling, dieing, and not restarting. Let it sit for a few minutes, and it'd start right up again and run like a champ. About a month later, it died entirely and stopped starting. I replaced the battery and the problem never returned.

So it could giving you an early indication of an impending battery failure.

-dickm

Reply to
dicko

My A/C isn't working, due to a bad compressor and low end pressure switch.

Jarrod

Reply to
Jennifer Smith

I noticed yesterday that there is no surge when I start it up initially, it runs smoothly. It's only after it's warmed up that this happens.

Jarrod

Reply to
Jennifer Smith

I noticed yesterday that there is no surge when I start it up initially, it runs smoothly. It's only after it's warmed up that this happens.

Jarrod

Reply to
Jennifer Smith

Another thing to check is the battery cables, especially the positive cable. This is a common problem on the early Explorers. They can deteriorate on the inside of the insulation and still look OK on the outside.

Reply to
Ulysses