lost ignition key for 2000 Explorer

I lost my ignition key for my 2000 ford explorer, i have a spare key that does not have the chip in it so the engineonly cranks and does not start. are they a way to turn on the fuel pump by running a wire from the batt to the fuel pump to get the car started so i can get to to the shop to get a key programed without getting a tow truck???????

Eddie

Reply to
Eddie Collins

No.... the chance for creating damage is great and even just the inconvenience of doing something like this is easily avoided without "bitch fixing" stuff.

Something that toatally amazes me is the number of owners that have only one programmed ignition key on hand.... I have access to all the necessary equipment and I still insist on possessing no less than 3 programmed keys for any PATs equipped vehicles..

FWIW, many mobile locksmiths have the capability of cutting and programming chipped keys. The cost of ones service might be cheaper than going the tow truck/dealership route.

Be aware that there are many key blanks available at varying prices. Ford has only "approved" of a handful of these suppliers. I have little experience with non-approved key blanks but have seen concerns with some of those I have seen.

HTH...

Reply to
Jim Warman