Low fuel pressure 1993 Ford Explorer XLT

Threaded View
My car jerks as if its running out of gas when I try to accelerate and it h
iccups when it idles also. The fuel filter is new. I spent $210.00 on diagn
ostic testing that told the mechanic the same thing I told him and injectio
n treatment that will take a week to run through my tank. So, I walked away
 without knowing my car is fixed. I have heard a few things. I was told to
have them check my modulator. Also, I've heard people say that their car di
d the same thing when there was rust in the tank. What should I do?

Re: Low fuel pressure 1993 Ford Explorer XLT

hiccups when it idles also. The fuel filter is new. I spent $210.00 on
diagnostic testing that told the mechanic the same thing I told him and
injection treatment that will take a week to run through my tank. So, I walked
away without knowing my car is fixed. I have heard a few things. I was told to
have them check my modulator. Also, I've heard people say that their car did the
same thing when there was rust in the tank. What should I do?

Either it has low fuel pressure or it doesn't.  Didn't the shop
measure the fuel pressure for the $210 diagnostic???  If the pressure
is ok then it's likely the pump and pressure regulator are OK.  The
pressure reg can also be checked by pulling off the vac hose to it and
seeing if the pressure goes up.  If they told you to use a fuel system
cleaner perhaps they did these tests and found nothing amiss and
therefore feel the injectors are dirty.  Of course it's also possible
you have one or more bad injectors.  Replacing them can be DIY if you
have a manual and are somewhat familiar with auto repair.  I did mine
on my 92 with a set from Ebay.

All that aside, my 92 was doing something similar to yours and it was
caused by the plugs being bad so the first thing I would recommend you
do is replace the plugs with stock motorcraft/autolite ones.  If that
fixes it you will be in the same spot I was.  Which was that one or
two of the plugs went "bad' again in about 5K miles.  I was not able
to find any definitive reason why after 150,000 miles of no plug
problems this problem started.  Luckily for me the bad plug is always
on the side that's very easy to get to.  Possibly it's a little bit of
an oil fouling problem but the plug looked no worse to me then many
plugs I've had that didn't cause any problems.  Thinking it might be a
bad injector causing it to run lean and cook the plug I replaced all
the injectors.  So far it's ok but I don't have another 5K+ on it yet
either.  I always carry extra plugs with me.

Site Timeline