Low Speed Lurching

I've got an '04 Explorer XLS 2wd that has what I can only describe as a dead spot in the trans. If let to coast for a while at speeds between 10 and the shift point to 2nd gear she'll lurch abruptly after stepping lightly on the throttle. There is also a slight delay between hitting the gas and feeling the lurch forward. This behavior only happens before the shift to 2nd. This really makes for a jerky drive when making my way through residential areas as I experience this at just about every turn.

I was told by a Ford tech that this is called drivetrain wind-up.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix or should I just get used to it?

I have about 5 more months of warranty left and I would love to go back to the dealer armed with more info.

Kelley

My '03 EB acts pretty much the same given the opportunity. I don't and I give it gas in the corners. After all it's an SUV. :)

Reply to
Andy Barkl