Mach Display Problem

I have a '99 Ford Explorer with the Mach sound system. For the last 3 years the display has been blank. About once every 6 months, usually during a major weather change, the display comes back and stays on for a few hours. I have looked all over for an explanation and noticed many articles that refer to a "well documented display problem with the Mach stereos." I have found many links to a supposed solution that you have to pay for and yet more links referring to that solution as bogus. Apparently it has even been discussed on these boards because I found an article referring to it in directly (someone had a '96 with no mach system and wanted to differentiate themselves from being thrown into the group with my issue), but no direct discussion of the solution.

Does anyone on here have the definitive diagnosis and solution to this problem? Would you please share it?

-= Get GrabIt for free from

=-

Reply to
Alex

I had that same problem. It's poor design on the circuit board. Basically, some components are moutned too close to the board and heat up. You can fix it yourself by unsoldering and resoldering some components with some clearance, but it's a hassle. I bought a pre-modified board from this guy:

did it over a year ago, and everything still works great.It's pretty easy to replace the board. He includes detailed instructions. BillM

Reply to
BillM

Just fixed mine. It was the power supply board. Ordered the board from

I tried the resoldering, but it didn't work. Then I ordered the "swap" board, installed it this morning and the display is now working like new. jim

Reply to
Jim