Manual lock hub conversion

Hello to the group,

I just replaced my auto-locking hubs with Warn manual lock hubs. From what I understand, when the hubs are in the FREE position you should not activate the 4WD button on the dashboard. Is it OK to activate the 4WD button while the vehicle is moving and the hubs are locked? I don't really understand the difference between the workings of the auto hubs vs. manual. A brief explanation of the differences and your experience with a conversion like this will be appreciated.

Thanks, Paul '91 Explorer 164K

Reply to
Paul

Yes, you can still shift on the fly with the manual hubs (naturally, don't do it if you are stuck and spinning your wheels) and you wont be able to tell the difference in engagement indications. I live in an area where winters are very harsh and many roads aren't paved (that and a penchant for wilderness activities) so my hubs remain locked in much of the time - even though I'm not using 4WD. I've never been overly concerned with gas mileage but I haven't noticed any appreciable fuel consumption concerns other than our usual cold weather usage (almost a week straight of -40° to -50°F last month).

When you engage the manual hub, turning the knob allows a spring to push a dog ring into engagement, tying the front drive halfshaft to the hub and driving the front wheel through the studs. The auto locker wasn't as dependable nor as strong (IMHO) ..... it's engagement is a little more complicated and relied on the rotation of the front halfshaft to force the hub into engagement.

HTH.

Jim Warman

I did this conversion on my 92 exp sport several years ago after wearing out the second set. There is no problem with engaging 4x4 with the hubs unlocked. I have have done this many times when I need a lower gear when towing on dry pavement.

Also, leaving the hubs locked all the time causes more wear on the front end drive components as well as poorer mpg. With the hubs locked you should not exceed 55mph and never try and engage 4x4 over 55

Andy

Reply to
andy

Actually, I've seen fewer problems with front drive components that are exercised than those that are left inert..... particularly the axle joints...

You really need to qualify your statement on transfer case engagement without the corresponding hub engagement..... the driven sprocket, front output yoke and front axle driveshaft can start to ocsillate wildly and actually beat the crap out of the transfer case. Additionally, low range multiplies the engine torque quite dramatically and the smart money is on sharing the extra torque between more than one axle..

Jim Warman

Thanks Jim for that explanation. I now have a better understanding of what happens now when the button is activated. Sounds like nice weather you are having, especially for polar bears or penguins! Guess that kind of cold can make some stuff break pretty quick or not want to run at all. Down here we call it cold when it's in the teens! We're supposed to get more snow tonight so the hubs will get a good test tomorrow.

Thanks again, Paul

Reply to
Paul

How does engaging the 4 WD get you to a lower gear? Looks like you'd have to use the shifter to do that. I agree, 55 mph would not be a good time to decide you need 4 WD.

Reply to
Paul

Why would there be a problem going over 55 with the hubs locked but the transfer case not in 4x4?

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

He probably meant low range, not high range.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

We start rolling the dice....... that chain isn't too light and the pins between the links can only hold so much centrifugally induced weight. So far this year, I've seen two t-cases blown apart from this (between the cost of the t-case and the 'collateral damage', disengaging the hubs looks cheap). For my own part, my full sized half tons survived a few trips on the highway with the hubs locked in though not as a steady diet.

If the roads are bad enough for us to need our 4WD ready to go like that, chances are that we shouldn't be going that fast, anyway.

Jim Warman

use the shifter to do

Sorry should have explained futher -- Going to 4x4 LOW (low range) (when stopped). Gives me a lower gear than normal range. This has proven useful a few times when first gear in normal range has not been low enough.

Reply to
andy