Manual Transmission Shift Rail Plugs Replacement

I've been reading up on this, and thought I'd post what I found:

Here are some instructions from two sources. The first source has some pictures that clearly show exactly where the plugs are. Before:

After:
He suggests changing the shifter bushings at the same time. The second source has some additional details. One detail is missing, how deep to drive the replacement plugs. I'm planning on measuring the old plugs and installing the new ones to the same depth.

you may or may not know, the 91-94 Ford Explorer manualtransmissions have 3 rubber plugs that usually dry up and fall out,especially at higher mileage. If these plugs fall out, you will end uphaving to get your tranny rebuilt. You can replace these plugs withouttoo much difficulty while the tranny is still in the Explorer. You will have to remove the front seats, center console, shifter boot and shifter tower, and all the plastic trim pieces that are around the edges of the carpet in the front of the vehicle. Once all that is removed, you will be able to pull the carpet back. Under the carpet, there is an access panel that you will need to unbolt. Once you remove this panel, you will be able to see the top of the transmission and the plugs that are to be replaced.

While I had everything torn apart, I replaced my shifter bushings. The parts you will need are a washer (E8TZ-7Z120-A), a spacer (E8TZ-7E018-A), and a bushing (E8TZ-7228-A). Those are the Ford part numbers, and combined, they should not cost you more than $6 or $7 from the dealer. Replacing the bushings is not hard, just be careful not to drop anything in the transmission. It is very important to have the tranny in neutral before you begin to replace the bushings. (I found this out the hard way, and the tranny did not have any gears when I got it back together!) Unscrew the 3 bolts that hold the top plate that goes around the shifter of the tranny that is sticking out. You will see the bushing below the plate, this is what you are going to replace. Carefully remove the bushing, being very careful not to drop any parts or broken pieces into the tranny. After removing the top bushing and washer above the stick, pull it out, and there is one more washer that is in the bottom of the area you are working in. Put everything back together in the order that you took it apart, but replace the old parts with the new bushings, etc that you just bought from Ford.

At the time that I replaced the plugs, I also replaced the tranny fluid with Amsoil Synthetic ATF fluid.

will need 3 cup plugs (freeze plugs) Dorman #55-108 or Dana#219-3052 I got mine at Napa for .29 each and you may as well get thebest synthetic ATF you can buy to change your fluid, because if it islike mine it won't leak again. Pull your pass seat, console,and shiftlever.

Peel up the carpet to expose the large floor pan and remove it. Now you see the top cover held down with 10 bolts. Remove it and pull it straight up. Now you see the 3 rubber plugs. Cut the ends with a razor knife and remove them. Replace with cup plugs, drive them in with a socket that is a loose fit inside the cup.

Reply to
carbide

My plugs were leaking really badly. I just used the same plugs and applied a silicon sealant and that has worked fine for 12 years. I cleaned the area really well before applying to make sure the sealant would stick.

Reply to
Tommy Wood

Holy cow! Someone who's cheaper than *I* am! But that sounds like it would work, that silicon sealant is tough stuff. I think I'll splurge and buy the metal plugs, though...

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

Seems like I tried to find the plugs and couldn't (as I remember from 12 years ago), so I finally settled on the sealant, hoping it would work. It has worked.

Reply to
Tommy Wood

I hadn't heard about that. It's added to the transmission fluid? If you click the links in my post, you'll see the plugs. That guy did a nice job of photographing them.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide