Maplight question for Jim Warman-----

Hello Jim: I've been seeing many of your fine responses on this newsgroup for quite some time now. Sure is great of you to share your knowledge as you do. I have wanted to ask you a question re: a minor maplight problem on a 95 Explorer XLT that has been bugging me for quite a long time. All of the interior lights are on a 10 sec delay upon entering the car. They seem to be actuated by pulling on the outside door handle. They should go out when the ignition key is switched on with all doors closed (or after about 10 sec. if the key is not switched). In my car, the front map lights (map lights only) will stay lit after the key is switched on, or after the 10 sec. delay. This problem seems to manifest itself every other time that entry is made to the car. It is not a huge problem to me & I just manually turn off the map light every other time, but I would like to get to the bottom of the problem. It appears that this may be electronic in nature due to the alternating frequency of occurence. Was just wondering if you might be able to shed some light on the cause of this problem?? I don't have a schematic or wiring for my car so troubleshooting is difficult.

Thanks in advance & keep up the fine work.

Ray Angelo in Erie, PA

Reply to
CRAngelo

I need to know if you have the overhead console or not....

Regards,

Jim Warman "this hotel room still sucks" snipped-for-privacy@telusplanet.net

Reply to
Jim Warman

Jim: Yes, I do have the overhead console with compass/temperature. The maplights are inside that console.---Ray

Reply to
CRAngelo

OK... now ya done it.... to say that I am unfamiliar with this system is an understatement.... Mum, rest her soul, always taught my "in for a penny is in for a pound" so, in spite of some pretty brutal circuit diagrams, we can forge ahead if you like.

You mention that you can turn the map lights off manually...... I assume this is a switch located very close to the map light and is a simple on/off switch? If so, does the switch simply need to be moved to the off position? Or do you need to cycle it on/off/on??

Moving from an indepedent shop, there are several model years that I get little exposure to.... this will be a learning exercise for us both.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Jim, if you're willing to try to solve this, I'm all for it also. If this is going to be more trouble than it's worth, I'm ok with that also. As I said, this is really not a biggie for me -- just a small PITA. To answer your switch question, the switches (one for each light, driver's & passenger's) are located right next to each maplight and are push type switches similar to a microswitch. They just go "click", once, when you push them. One click for on, then one more click for off. When the problem happens it just requires one click on each switch to turn them off. If you want to do this off the newsgroup just send E-mail to my address as it appears. Thanks Jim --- Ray A.

Reply to
CRAngelo

I'm willing to help with the problem...... it might take a few days for me to find how the switches actually work (your description of their operation was something I really didn't want to see 8^).....). Since the problem isn't quite at the hair pulling stage, I wouldn't mind taking some kind of stab at it (pride of the warrior, I suppose). I prefer to keep it on the NG.... the reaon is twofold..... first, someone might recognize a similar circumstance and ease both of our pain or discussing the issue may help someone else solve problems......

Yeah, helping DIYers might lose me a job or two in the long run...... our dealership is busy - all the time..... we are proud of our work and our customers are the proof.

My first inclination is that these switches are just a fancy rocker switch..... but if you are sure that someone isn't turning the lights on manually, I have to re-adjust my thinking and we can come to a conclusion......... If a guy in a three piece suit designed it, a guy in a blue collar can sure as sh*t fix it 8^)

Reply to
Jim Warman

circumstance

Sounds to me like these switches are just momentary contacts that toggle a relay or flip-flop circuit in some light control module.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

Hi Fred: I get the same feeling about those switches, but without a schematic or wiring diagram it's pretty tough to troubleshoot.--Ray

Reply to
CRAngelo

Just to touch on he subject, Ray... I haven't forgotten about you.... I'm back home again and trying to recover from a week of restaraunt food. After looking at all my available resources, I still need to find one of these tot take a look at to be sure of what I say.

GEMs have been a problem in the past with these but they are too spendy to really have me say "try one".

Reply to
Jim Warman

Ok, Jim. As I said before, this is not a major problem, just a minor PIA. I'm ready to remove the bulbs again for a while to see if I really miss the courtesy lights. I rarely use the map lights anyway.----Ray

Reply to
CRAngelo