Michelin LTX MS tire pressure?

Just put 4 new Michelin LTX MS tires on my 2000 Explorer XLS (2WD). What should the tire pressure be? The tires say "consult owner's manual / max. pressure 35 PSI". The owner's manual says to follow recomendations on side of tires, so I'm unsure what is best. The tire dealer put 37 PSI in the fronts and 33 PSI rears.

I run 100% on the highway, and occasionally tow a 2700 pound trailer.

TIA

Reply to
BOTMLINE 2

Big Shoe

Somewhere, probably on the inside door post or glove box door, should be a tire inflation sticker.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

tire inflation sticker

I have seen stickers inside the cover of the center console. The sticker MUST be there somewhere. I run my 94 with Cross Terrains at 3 pounds over what the sticker says for non-high-speed pressure.

------------------------------------------------------------ reply address bot resistant and human safe

SmartyPants

Check the VIN decal at the drivers door.

Reply to
Jim Warman

I am not positive of this but am 75% sure....Ford told owners to use 30 psi on all 4 tires regardless of the stickers on the vehicle. That was after the Firestone fiasco. I had a '99 Explorer and always ran 30 psi.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

'03 vehicles call for 30# front 35# rear.

Sy Cohen

Reply to
Sy Cohen

Hmmm, interesting.

My sister's `97 Sport has had Michelin LTX M/S, P235/75R15, for a few years. Her tires say max pressure 35 PSI, same as yours. They also say max load 2028 lbs, and treadwear 440.

My dad just got the *same* tires for his `98 XLT, but... I noticed that his say max load 2183 lbs @ 41 PSI, and treadwear 500.

I just assumed the tires were improved sometime between the two purchases. Did you get "old stock" tires? Anybody else got the higher numbers on their LTX M/S?

Reply to
Colibri

But wouldn't that sticker be applicable to the original factory tires and not the aftermarket brands?

dave

Reply to
Dave

I usually run 30psi on my 94 with the LTX MS tires.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

If the tire sizes are the same, and the same load range, as a rule the pressures will remain the same. It should be remembered that the pressures the mfgr gives is a

*recommendation*. The user can vary to suit particular loads or desired ride characteristics.

Bill Funk Change "g" to "a"

Reply to
Big Bill

My 96 says 26 psi. After the Firestone press, reading the new recomendations, and switching to LTX M/S, I've ran 30 psi (using recomendation from Tire salesperson) without incident. Decided to forgo rotating tires, and have exteremely even wear of tires at 30 psi, from start to end of tire life. By contrast, tire wear was diabolical at 26 psi, despite following recommended rotations. Go 30psi for sure (at least).

Paul

snipped-for-privacy@draco.acs.uci.edu

Reply to
Paul Scrutton

Yes, the '02 and later "new bodystyle" is different. I was referring to the old bodystyle.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Those pressures are wrong (or you reversed the readings) front and rear. I would run them at 30-32 lbs front and rear except when towing. When towing, increase the rear pressure to the max load rating of the tire (35 lbs). Note - all pressures are measured stone cold. Once the tires have been driven on at all (or even sat in the direct sun) they will measure higher by an unknown amount. Use an accurate gauge.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

My 2001 Sport Trac calls for 30 front, 33 rear. H

Reply to
Hairy

If the tires are the same size and type, they will have the same maximum load rating. Make sure they are exactly the same size and type. For the P235/75R15 LTX M/S tries Michelin offers both a regular load and an "extra load" P series tire.

P235/75R15 105S: Max load = 1844 lb @ 35 psi* P235/75R15/XL 108S: Max load = 1985 lb @ 41 psi*

  • - The maximum load rating listed here has been derated because the tires are used in a light truck application. The tire's sidewall shows a higher maximum load rating (based on the industry wide P metric standard).

I believe if you scrutinize the two tires in your original post you will see they differ in load rating (105S vs 108S).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The diabolical tire wear probably was more related to the quality of the OE Firestones than to the tire pressue.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Actually, I had the 'Stones on my '99 and at 25000 miles (when Ford did the recall) they were almost like new!

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

My Firestones ('93 Explorer) were as hard as a rock. I got 95,000 when I finally decided to replace them. They had plenty of tread left, in fact, they just passed the state safety inspection, but I no longer felt safe, since they were slick as all get-out on rainy roads. I think they put rocks in the rubber compound in the batch I got.

Reply to
Tommy Wood

At least lately, I have not worn any tires down to the tread wear bars. The tread seems to last forever, but the tires get noisy or bumpy or whatever long before the tread is gone. I just replaced the OE Continentals on my Expedition with Michelins. The tread on the Continentals looked great even though the tires had 50,000 miles. However they bumped (despite repeated balancings) and were very noisy. Changing to the Michelins was like buying a new truck. Smooth ride, no bumping, no noise. The tread might last forever but the internal structure of the tire does not.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White