Michelin Tires

The time has come to replace the tires on my 03 Eddie Bauer.

I was looking at Michelin tires and saw the LTX which everyone always has nice things to say about and the Cross Terrain as well. The Cross Terrain were about $20 a tire more and the attendant said they have a smoother ride.

What is the opinion here on these tires?

For background, I live in Southern CA. Drive streets and freeways. No off-road, no snow, etc. So what I really want is a smooth ride.

Feedback welcome!

Reply to
Gummy Mummy

You might also take a look at Goodyear Fortera Silent Armour

The time has come to replace the tires on my 03 Eddie Bauer.

Reply to
Fred 2

Reply to
chris

I have the Cross Terrains on my 99 XLT. They are very smooth riding tires. I think the general concensus of previous discussions is that the LTX's are slightly more aggressive the Cross Terrains, although I do not think you will go wrong with either tire.

Reply to
Mikepier

I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure they are both great tires. I should probably go with the LTX since I am something of an aggressive driver.

I was at Costco and they were out of both yesterday. I guess I can call around and try to negotiate with someone else. The LTX was $155 and the Cross Terrain was $175. Plus at Costco, all the mounting, balancing, and stems are free.

Wish me luck!

Reply to
Gummy Mummy

What's the price like.

Reply to
Gummy Mummy

Reply to
Fred 2

Be aware that the tires sold at Costco are not the same as tires sold elsewhere (at least that was true for the Michelin X-One/X-Radials I was looking into a couple of years ago). Go the the Michelin web page and look up the tire specs. They are incredibly boring-looking tables, but they will likely tell you that the tires you'll get at Costco have 2/16" less tread than the tires you'll get somewhere else.

Reply to
Ratbert

The Cross Terrain Michelins are great. Very smooth. Have had them on my F150 for two weeks and will put them on the Explorer soon. Got them at Tires Plus for 142.00 each. You can special order them at Walmart for 147.00.

Reply to
Jim

I had the LTX/MS on my '99 and have the Cross Terrains on my '03. The Cross Terrains are quieter and have better traction in both rain and snow conditions IMO. My 03 has 30K miles and the Cross Terrains have lots of miles left. They wear evenly with no alignment or balancing - I only rotate them every 10K or so.

Dick O'Keefe

Reply to
Richard O'Keefe

I bought a set of the Forteras's in July 2005 for my wife's '98 XLT and I think they're great. Much smoother than the UNI Laredo's they replaced. Those Laredos were the Firestone replacements. They weren't smooth tires but I got 80 grand out of them before the tread wore down.

I found an Internet price at Tire Kingdom for $120 for the Forteras and took it to the local Goodyear shop here in South Carolina because I needed a few other maintenance items done. They matched the price and I got them for $120 each installed with lifetime balance and rotation.

Damn fine tire so far with about 8K on them.

Reply to
Max Wedge

I have had LTX M/S tires on my '95 explorer since '97, live in So. Cal. and recommend them highly. They wear like iron and have a comfortable ride. I'm on my second set! If you desire a smooth ride, replace shocks with Monroe Sensa-Trak or Monroe Reflex to complement your tires....it makes a huge difference.

Reply to
goldansky

The X Terrain are better than LTX for smooth roads. I have just replaced my first set of Cross Terrains with a second set, both were from Costco. I rarely go off road, but they are great in Long Island snow. They are quiet on smooth roads. Needless to say, I think they are great.

Reply to
S.P.