Michelin XLT's...

When to say time for new tires if....

  1. the tires still have a safe amount of tread on them, but...

  1. they are 7-8 years old and getting that micro-crack/dry rot look. ???

  2. have 55k miles on them

I'm thought I might go ahead an put them up for sale while they are stilll mounted and see if there is any interest from prospective buyers?. -Try to sell them at $20. each and buy new ones just to be on the safe side ! :) ??

Thanks!!

Reply to
dan

Big Shoe

The reason you hear so much talk about "aging tires" these days is because of the Firestone fiasco. Now everyone is trying to cover their ass by telling people to buy new tires every 6 years. There is no downside from the tire industry/auto industry standpoint to feed this bunk since it just puts more money in their pockets when people replace perfectly good tires. I've driven on tires over 10 years old at high speed with no problems many times. In fact, the only tires I have ever had problems with have been relatively new ones and usually they have been Firestones. In my personal experience all tire failures are from manufacturing defects, not "ageing". Of course if the tire has been UNmounted and laying in the dirt and getting rained on for 8 years that's a whole different story but I don't think you are talking about that kind of old tire.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher