Moose Horn Engine Noise??

Hey - I've got a '98 Explorer, standard 6-cyl, auto, with about 120k miles. In the last 2000 or so miles, it has developed a roaring noise when the engine is hot and car is idling. The noise is very loud when the air intake is removed from the air filter compartment. My mechanic said there's a tech bulletin on it, referring to the problem as "Moose Horn", and requires a kit to fix it. Anybody ever heard of anything like that, or am I being taken for a joy ride? Is the problem just annoying, or is there potential for damage? I'd appreciate any comments from anybody familiar with the problem. Thanks, ~OC~

Reply to
OC

Sounds like the IAC intake moan..... been a lot of threads on the subject. A new IAC valve is the usual cure...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks for the feedback - didn't know what to search for. I found the earlier threads, and they describe the same problem exactly. Appreciate your help. ~OC~

Reply to
OC

Reply to
Jonah

I had to replace the IAC valve this weekend on my 96 xlt 4.0L 4wd. $44 from Autozone & no more problem. took literally about two minutes to fix.

Reply to
catphishum