(Multi-function Switch) 2000 explorer

can anyone tell me how to remove and replace this switch on the steering columb?

Reply to
cranky-yankee

Here are the removal/installation instructions for the multi-function switch from my 1998 Ford Explorer Service CD, which may or may not be smiler to your 2000 design. Please note that I would recommend proceeding with caution whenever working around an air bag, and to seek professional help if you become uncomfortable and/or unsure at anytime.

REMOVAL:

  1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.

  1. Remove the ignition switch lock cylinder.

a) Insert the ignition key into the ignition switch lock cylinder and turn to RUN position.

b) Push the ignition switch lock cylinder release tab with a punch while pulling out the ignition switch lock cylinder.

  1. If equipped, twist the tilt wheel handle and shank counterclockwise and remove.

  1. Remove the upper and lower steering column shrouds.

a) Remove the screws.

b) Remove the upper and lower steering column shrouds.

  1. Remove the multi-function switch.

a) Remove the screws.

b) Disconnect the electrical connectors.

c) Remove the multi-function switch.

INSTALLATION:

  1. Note: When the battery is disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the vehicle relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 16 km (10 mi) or more to relearn the strategy.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Good luck,

Steven

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf