multi function swith

anybody know why the ford service manual says to remove the ignition switch cylinder to replace the multi function switch

Reply to
mab6680

Well.... depending on the year and model, it can be necessary to remove the lock cylinder in order to remove the upper steering column garnish. Additionally, these manuals are compiled by people that know a lot about compiling manuals and nothing about cars....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
Jonah

i know i dont need to remove the lock to get the two covers off ive already changed the clock spring in there i was a bit confused on why they would say to take it out thank you guys have been a big help

Reply to
mab6680

As the owner of three of the volumes of the Helm set for 92, I can attest that they are not so great at compilation either.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Charlie, I'm sure that most would be amazed at the amount of misinformation, inappropriate test procedures and failure to adjust manual content that we deal with on a regular basis.

One glaring example..... At one point in time, the spec (for warranty purposes) on SuperDuty (and some other) ball joints was 0.030"... some radial - some axial. A blanket TSB was issued changing the spec to 0.060". The TSB covered specific years and models and, for some time, we referred to the TSB when inspecting steering and suspension systems. Over time, we started to forget the specific number of the TSB and noticed that the spec in the manuals had not changed in some cases and in other cases, less play was allowed.

Now, as a matter of routine, when checking a front end for warranty purposes, I run OASIS... if the TSB doesn't come up, I use shop manual specs. The really interesting point... when I run OASIS on units that I know for a fact were affected by the TSB.... the TSB doesn't show.

This isn't limited to wear specs and it isn't limited to Ford. Now, with electronic media, so much is left for a clerical type to cut and paste whole sections of previous manuals that errors live on and on.... all this in spite of SPEC - Service Publication Error Correction. While the manuals are, by and large, very good - they assume that the peron using the manual has previous experience for some things and has the ability to decide if a procedure is appropriate or not.

Bad enough that so many techs are, in this day and age, ill equipped for their chosen vocation... they have the added embarrassment of, sometimes, inadequate documentation.

Reply to
Jim Warman