My '96 XLT AWD V8 sure is reliable

Since most people usually just see problems. I thought I'd throw in some good news. I bought my '96 XLT AWD V8 new back in March 1996. This vehicle now has about 82K miles and has never had any problems other than a single failed oxygen sensor. I regularly tow a trailer with ATVs and snowmobiles in the winter as well. I've done the basic maintenance, changed oil every

3K miles and had the transmission flushed at 30K, 60K and getting close to 3rd. It doesn't use any oil and on flat level cruise control driving it gets a consistent 19.5 MPG. All in all I would definitely buy this vehicle again.

:-)

Reply to
Rider

Fred 2

Just an echo of satisfaction here. I have a '97 XLT 4.0 pushrod 4dr with manual transmission and Control-Trak 4wd that I ordered and received in September of '96. I now have almost 180K miles and it is by FAR the most reliable vehicle I have ever had. Besides the infamous blend-door failure and one speed sensor replaced under warranty, nothing beyond normal wear items have needed attention. A recent clutch replacement was in the latter category and is pretty tame for this time period. I use mine pulling trailers as needed, working on remote radio repeaters off-road, general work around the farm, and for a lot of highway travel in my business. I routinely see around 20mpg, with no oil consumption. Maintenance has been routine at the recommended intervals. Switching to Michelin LTX tires thanks to the Firestone problems was probably the best of a number of upgrades that I did, the rest being comfort and convenience things as a rule. I only wish Ford still made 4wd SUV's with manual transmissions in the US, and I would buy another. As it is, I suppose I'll drive this one forever!

=Vic= Bear Gap, PA

Reply to
Vic Klein

I'm still on stock brake pads. They still have about 40-50% of the pads left. What kind of brake pad life is everyone else seeing?

Reply to
Rider

Can't resist the urge to pile on. Mine is a '97 XLT AWD V8. I bought it used

1.5 years ago at 89K miles. Part of its appeal was that I bought it from the original owner and the truck had always been serviced at the same (excellent) local independent garage, so I could see its entire maintenance history.

Until a few years ago I had owned only Japanese vehicles. Now we have a Dodge minivan and the Explorer, and while they are a bit rough around the edges compared to a Honda, they've both been durable and reliable.

This truck has had exactly one problem in 7 years and now 106K miles: a power-window switch went bad under warranty. I use it to tow a race car on a trailer (a 4700-lb load) over some hilly routes. No complaints whatsoever.

I used to buy used cars with 15K - 30K miles on them. But this time around, after thinking through my driving habits (I work at home - no commute), I decided to buy a higher-mileage vehicle for significantly less money, then pay as needed for repairs, maintenance and upgrades (Gibson Performance exhaust, Mustang Bullitt wheels, mild lowering kit - bling bling!). So far, I'm happy with the decision.

Mac

Reply to
Mags

Tossing my hat in the ring too!

I have TWO 96 XLT's one AWD and one 2wd. Both V8's

One has 110k and the other 129k. Although the 129k one DID have a complete engine rebuild at ~100k I can't blame the truck. The thermostat stuck closed in the 110 degree Las Vegas summer and it started to overheat. She drove it till it wouldn't move anymore ! (she was 16, and didn't know any better) Radiator burst, 2 main bearings were scored, and the pistons had scored up the cylinders pretty good. BUT! after a rebuild, she's as good as new, and I can probably drive it for another 10 yrs without a worry !

I dumped my 95 Toyota 4runner when I bought the first Explorer, and never looked back. While the 4runner was nice, it was VERY unrefined and rough compared to the Ford. The whole thing just seemed tinny and cheap by comparison. lightly padded seats, none of the convenience features like digital thermometer, keypad entry, compass, auto lock doors, auto headlights, etc.. And even though it had a 6 cyl, the gas mileage was within about 1-2 mpg of the V8 in the Explorer.

I occasionally entertain the thought of buying a newer Explorer, but what for ? to have car payments ?!! no thanks!

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

and as far as that goes...92 with 321,000 miles GREAT truck!!!

Reply to
mark
98 Sport with 119,500 and no problems except the blend door problem
Reply to
Dave Cilluffo
96 sport with 213,000 miles, rebuilt manual tranny, new (used) transfer case, original engine w no work done on it yet.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Scrutton

I replaced the original pads at 65k miles

Reply to
Fred 2

Reply to
Gerald Riggs
96 XLT 4.0 4x4 auto just turned 150K. Only major repair was a new (rebuilt) tranny at 120K. I only wish I could find another 96 with 30K and start all over. This is the best vehicle I've ever owned by far.
Reply to
Joe

91 EB with 226,000 miles until it was creamed in an accident. Now in a 92 XLT, other than blowing out the tranny seals (my fault for towing a trailer with the overdrive on), very reliable, still going strong at 156,000. Properly maintained and not abused, these trucks can last for years.
Reply to
Richard Ray