New Design - Long Life??

Greetings!!

Have one of the new design '02 Explorers. Just passing 37k on our V-6 Limited that have been basically trouble free miles (except, of course, for the new rear end and hopefully someday a new hatch on the back). Was wondering what kinds of issues are cropping up for those of you who have put far more miles on the new design (that is, post-02) Explorers?

In particular, I'm wondering about when to plan for replacements for things such as shocks, brakes, and so on. To be honest, except for an impending set of tires, the other maintenance-type items seem to be acting just like they have since new. (Mostly easy in town driving, etc., for us.)

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

I am at 30,000 on my '03 Mountaineer and thought the same thing as you...that this SEEMS to be a bullet-proof vehicle (versus my 1999 Explorer which felt like it spent more time at the dealer than on the road). And, also like you, the only REAL problem I am having is the rear window hatch, now waiting for the new redesigned parts.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Tires at 37K? I just replaced the OEM Michelins on my '02 V-8 XLT, as the vehicle passed 80K. I could have gotten anotgher 10K legal miles out of them - i.e., the tread had enough depth - but we were leaving on a cross-country trip towing a trailer, and wanted to be sure there were no on-the-road problems.

I had the brakes done at about 60K. The OEM battery is dying - a bit soon, I would have thought. Rear end was replaced at 35K and needed it again at 40K (haven't done it). I'm not thrilled with the transmission when towing, though it is fine without a trailer. Other than that, it's been a pretty good vehicle.

What tires were on your Explorer when you bought it?

Bill Jeffrey ==============================

Ken wrote:

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey
80K on tires? That would NEVER EVER happen here in Pittsburgh. I got 25K out of the OEM Goodrich tires which the dealer said is about average. Had to do all 4 brakes at 25K too...again, is about average in up and down Pittsburgh driving.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Bill

I have the Goodyear Wranglers. They are actually OK (tread wise), but we do a lot of driving in the winter in the mountains plus deal with a lot of rain and I'd rather be safe than sorry. There's probably 10-15k more miles before they are illegal. I'm not complaining.

Thanks for your input, especially since you tow and probably put a bit more strain on things than we do.

Cheers!!

Ken

Bill Jeffrey wrote:

Reply to