New poster>>>HELP!! F-100 Light blue smoke...

Hi all - I hope I'm posting to the right group. This looks like a very knowledgable n.g. I bought an '82 F-100 w/straight 6, 2-barrel, 4 speed, in pretty good shape a few months ago. I had the oil changed, fluids checked, a minor tune-up (belts checked, but not replaced, etc)....I put a master cylinder in, radiator cap, pcv valve, pcv filter, air cleaner, plugs in... it has a few unconnected fuse connections, and since I don't know anything about emissions, etc. I figured preious owners had variously re-routed wiring etc.... the truck ran VERY well, with amazing gobs of torque, compared to my '72 VW, and even with the cost of filling up the 2 gas tanks, I was falling in love with it... the only problems, besides a little rust, and floppy mirrors, was the shrieking alternator, especially bad at startup, and clouds of smoke emitted when morning startup... the smoke is white/light blue/black, and now doesn't stop... I was driving up 85N (Atlanta), and a DEEP thumping came out of the bowels of the engine...it quit, and I had it towed home... now it smokes when I crank it, and idles very roughly, almost as if it has a broken motor mount...I don't have the stupidity to take it back on the road.... I shot the carb with gumout, and only white smoke came out... No $ to take it to the mechanic....is it loose manifold bolts? FUBAR carb?Blown head gasket? needing a valve job? Ring blowby? Are there any inexpensive additives to try to fix this? And how much will a junkyard straight-6 cost me (or rebuilt)?? I wish I could stick a 302 in there - probably better mileage, and I don't need all that torque - geez - I use car tires... sorry to be so lengthy, (if anyone's still reading) and gosh THANKS!!! Paul :+) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Reply to
pmbedard

Last I recall, a deep knock is usually a sign of a turned/wiped bearing. you might want to have a look at that. Blue smoke in the morning when you first start up is usually just valve seals, easily replaced ( with the right tools ). black smoke is usually a rich mixture, maybe a choke sticking, or a carb needing rebuilding?

Just my best guesses. Might wanna check with Jim Warman and be sure

Reply to
John Riggs

Ooops.....hate to reply to my own post, but forgot to mention....if it is blowing light blue smoke even after warming up, odds are good you need rings. How many miles is on this '82 F-100 of yours? 200K or so?

Reply to
John Riggs