No 4 wheel drive........

Went to put my 2001 ranger in 4wd last night & nothing happened, not even the dash light. I checked the fuse in the dash but that's not the problem. any ideas?

thanks......

Reply to
D O A

On the early Explorers (and probably the same on Rangers) the servo motor on the transfer case was usually the culprit. Tap on it gently with a small hammer while someone is pushing the button and it might recover.

Reply to
Ulysses

I have to give the shift motor on the transfer case a tap or two on my '91 EB when it's cold. I took the motor apart and cleand and lubricated it but it didn't seem to help for long. If I leave in in

4WD when it's parked it never freezes up.

JG

Reply to
Old Mechanic

I took mine apart too and cleaned and lubed it and it was fine every time I pushed the button--until the time I *really* needed it! I keep a small hammer in the truck now ;-)

Reply to
Ulysses

If your 4WD lights on the dash are proving out at start, it is probably the motor. If not, most likely the 4WD module.

Reply to
Roadie