No shifting out of first with a '94

My '94 explorer has stopped shifting into second gear (automatic). If i let off of the gas and let the rpms drop below 2,000, i can gradually get up to speed. I had my local mechanic replace the internal parts of the governor with no luck. I have also had a transmission fluid flush and refil done. There are currently 140,000 miles on the truck. The fluid was normal colored and did not smell unusual. I did have an overheat condition last summer where the fluid overflowed and sprayed the bottom of the truck.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Randy

Reply to
Randy Johnson

Since the governor was replaced, we'll assume that isn't the cause of "no upshift." When the tranny shifs into second gear, it is a combination of first gear and the application of the internal kickdown (or second-gear) band on the drum. If the kickdown band is shot, then it won't shift out of first but will go directly from first to 3rd when the vehicle speed gets high enough. If you followed that, my guess is that the kickdown band is worn to the point it won't engage. You can try having the kickdown band adjusted as s short-term fix, but my guess is you're in for a rebuild. Mine went at 130K miles on the '94 I had.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

If your 94 is anything like my 91, check to see if the vacuum line to the transmission modulator valve has 'popped off'. If it has, it is probably due to contamination from the ATF. Simply replacing the vacuum line should return shifting back to 'normal', but doesn't correct the problem with the modulator valve. See

discussion re these valves... As is typical with net advice - YMMV

Rick

Reply to
pray4surf

That's not exactly an encouraging story, is it?

I have that problem now... tranny loses fluid, but no evidence of a leak under the tranny or under the car. Probably the (vacuum) transmission modulator valve... ?

So do I dare try to fix it????

Reply to
Robert A. Matern

Hi there --

Thanks for the ideas. The vacuum line to the modulator is fine - took it off, no fluid, line has vacuum when vehicle is running. I dropped the pan this weekend and removed the control section of the transmission. There was some grey goo on the magnet in the pan and it was pretty black in the bottom of the pan. I cleaned the control body with a nice clean rag. Checked that the passages were clear and the pistons moved. Put it all back together - a guess what? No change at all. S**t!

Sounds like i will need to take it in to a transmisson shop as it sounds like the first to third issue mentioned by Mike.

When i get brave i will have to take it in,

Reply to
Randy Johnson