No start condition

Yesterday, my 94 XLT failed to start after the drive home from work. Lots of battery and cranking but no start. Could not hear the fuel pump running. Came back about 10:00 pm and it started like nothing was ever wrong. So what should I check ahead of the fuel pump to diagnose and eliminate whatever is defective; especially if anyone out there has had this problem, too? I would like to literally work back from the pump so I don't overlook something and have to go back.

Also, my temp gage fluctuates from just beyond the 'N' in normal down to half way to stone cold. The system is full of coolant, no leaks, the heater works fine so I know aside from the gage, things are working fine. I assume that once full operating temp is reached it should stay fairly steady and not fluctuate. Might it be a failing temp sensor from the block or something like that? It all began after I back-flushed the cooling system after I bought it.

Thanks for any help to identify these two issues.

Reply to
Rhys Pieces

Check your fuel pump relay. It's in the relay box under the hood. Switch it with the blower relay (they're the same) or just tap it a good whack with a screwdriver handle when you have a no start condition and see if it works. Relays are cheap I keep a spare in the truck.

The temp gauge is probably normal, mine fluctuates a lot during different conditions such as AC on off, slow stop and go driving, idling, etc. Or maybe you've got some air in the system from the flush.

Reply to
Bob

Did you figure out what worked? I've had a similar problem with a

1994 Mazda Navajo (same as the Ford) and there are lots of posts online about this problem, none of them with a conclusive answer. I've replaced my starter, starter relay, and coil and ignition relay, all of which have failed to fix the problem...any conclusions?
Reply to
mazdanavajo

To clarify, I find that this is a "hot restart" problem, namely that it'll start fine if it has been sitting for a while, but when I stop in to refill the tank (for example) there is a chance it will not restart until I let it sit for 5-15 minutes.

Reply to
mazdanavajo

Hi. First off, where does one find said indicator? Second, if this were to be an indicator issue (realize that I'm no expert), why would this have to do with this restart issue. Specifically, the car isn't moving, so the crankshaft shouldn't be moving (right?). Thanks for the contribution.

Reply to
Mazda Navajo Owner

This problem on my 93 Explorer turned out to be an intermittent fuel pump relay which wouldn't pull in when it was hot. I got a new relay at O'Reilly for about $3 or $4.

Reply to
Tommy Wood

It depends on what engine you have, but I would suggest looking by the cranksharf pulley to see if you can find a toothed section close to it, that would be the ring tone, and if you have one, the sensor should be close to it

Good luck!

AS wrote:

Reply to
AS