Noise from Cam Sensor?

Last week I started hearing a squealing noise under the hood, sounding just like a loose belt. I brought it to a local mechanic and he replaced the belt and it still made the noise. Because the noise was intermittent he had trouble locating it but he said it sounded like it was coming from the bell housing. This was late in the day so I took my truck home and the next day I brought it to the shop that had worked on my clutch last year.

Riding around we never heard the sound but he said he's seen where cam sensors make that kind of noise, and the noise seems to be coming from that general area.

The noise doesn't seem to change with engine speed.

Before I bring it back to one of these guys I'd like to know if anyone else has seen this sort of problem, how difficult is it to fix, etc. Truck runs just fine, the only problem is this noise. 96 Explorer,

4.0L engine, 153K miles, manual transmission.

Jim Holcomb

Reply to
Jim Holcomb

I had the same experience last year in my '96. Same symptoms, same situation. The noise started out as a squeak and over time turned into an intermittent squeal loud enough to make me pull over to see what the heck was going on. I also replaced the belt (and tensioner) before returning to the dealership that did the previous clutch work.

The diagnosis was the cam sensor bearing. The fix was simple. I just handed the dealer $268!

Jon

Reply to
Mtsx10

Thanks - just heard from my mechanic and that was the fix, handing him $287 ;-)

Jim

Reply to
Jim Holcomb

Ahhhh, it does an old man's heart good to see the willing exchange of barter scrip for goods and services rendered......

Kinda reminds me of the times I've paid an accountant $100/hr to add up numbers I've already added (twice to make sure)...... or a lawyer $180/hr to tell me that my idea was a good one and I shouldn't change anything......... or the kid at the drive-through for a burger shaped piece of OSB that bore no resemblance to either what I ordered nor the picture on the sign by the speaker......

I'm only saying this because I'm cheating a carpenter out of the cost of a new garden shed and, somehow, my framing hammer found two new targets....... swelling, throbbing targets - and now, as dusk is settling, it's time to go back to work and finish up a truck that has to go to work at 6 in the AYEM (something about your mouth writing cheques that your hide has to cash....).

At least it'll be another excuse to ride the Sporty.......

Jim Warman forever the optomist snipped-for-privacy@telusplanet.net

Reply to
Jim Warman

Does anyone think the belt should have been changed?? i got mine changed out now the dealer is saying it's the cam sensor. I asked if it was necessary for me to pay for the belt to be changed??? Of course, they say yes. Although i do hear the sound less, it is still the same sound.? Did they misdiagnose the initial problem?? thanks for any help////

Reply to
cori

Hi Jim. Two weeks ago I experienced a very loud and strange noise that I thought was coming from my automatic transmission. Sounds like a chain saw or loud sewing machine. It first started when I was descending a steep grade and went from second to first gear manually, and within 10 seconds or so it started this loud noise. The noise would happen when I took my foot off the accelerator pedal. I soon discovered I could make the noise go away by accelerating slightly. And then I discovered I could prevent it from reoccurring by letting my foot off the accelerator pedal nice and easy. If I removed foot off the pedal quickly, the noise would return. But this doesn?t happen all the time. In fact, when I took it to the dealer to have the transmission problem checked, it would not make the noise. The mechanic took my Explorer home for two nights and still couldn?t get it to make the noise. I have driven it for two weeks now and the noise reoccurs fairly often but not all the time. The loud noise also (kinda) sounds like the starter bendix engaging. I now you said yours was a squealing sound, but was wondering if it sounded something like mine? I haven?t been back to the dealer since. I thought I would do some research myself, first. If anyone else has had this experience or something similar, please let me know what it is?

Thanks, Len

Reply to
lad903

The noise you hear could possibly from the harmonic balancer. I had a noise that sounded like the belt was slipping, replaced the belt, still the same noise. Took it to the mechanic and they said it was the harmonic balancer. The Cam sensor will send a message to the message center or like mine, the service engine soon light will come on and stay on. Had both replaced in my Ford 150, cost $545.00

Reply to
jbw