Noise from front end and steering.

I have 2 problems here. Don't know if they are connected.

  1. I have a noise when I turn the steering to the right. It's like something needs to be lubricated and I can feel it through the steering wheel. This happens only at very low speeds like 5mph. During the course of turning the wheel +2 turns (like when I exit the garage into the alley) I will hear it twice at about the same spot on the turn of the wheel.

  1. Front end noise from driver side. It feels and sound like something is loose but I can't find it. Also only at slower speeds (10-30mph). I can feel this one through the steering wheel too. It's very noticeable when I do a slow left turn.

Any ideas ?

1998 XLT 4.0 SOHC AT
Reply to
<zotiREMOVERTHISPART

No idea about #1... but concerning problem #2..... I had a very similar noise in my 96' Explorer which I could not locate either. Light rattling through steerinf wheel, especially during slow turns over bumps. Discussed the problem with a Ford tech friend of of mine. He did some research on factory TSB's regarding this noise. Told me to replace the connecting link\bar which goes between the end of the steering column and the steering gearbox. It's a 2 piece tubular telescoping unit. Mine was loose internally and was rattling. The new piece is a beefed up heavier looking part which eliminated the knocking\rattling sound in my Explorer steering. Part cost me approx. $100, I installed it myself.

Reply to
gordo

Don't you need to re-align the front after you change the tie rods ?

BTW, someone else mentioned this as a possible cause as well.

Reply to
<zotiREMOVERTHISPART

Can you tell me which part you replaced in the following diagram ?

is for a 98 Explorer. Did you replace the other side as well ?

Reply to
<zotiREMOVERTHISPART

I believe he is referring to this part (#2) :

I replaced the same thing on mine. It wasn't rattling but there was some slop in the joint. No realignment is necessary since this is only a connecting link between the steering column and the rack and pinion.

Steve

Reply to
Steve S.

I believe he is referring to this part (#2) :

I replaced the same thing on mine. It wasn't rattling but there was some slop in the joint. No realignment is necessary since this is only a connecting link between the steering column and the rack and pinion.

Steve

Reply to
Steve S.

How do you get to it ? How much work is it ?

I d> > Can you tell me which part you replaced in the following diagram ?

Reply to
<zotiREMOVERTHISPART

You get to it from under the hood. It takes about 15 minutes to change and only requires a few hand tools.

As far as the noise does it only happen when the wheel is cranked hard left ?

Reply to
Steve S.

The noise happens at slow speed and sounds and feels like a low rattle from the left. I can hear it and even feel it a bit thought the steering wheel. The steering doesn't have any play in it at all and the noise doesn't happen while turning the wheel.

That's why I th> > How do you get to it ? How much work is it ?

Reply to
<zotiREMOVERTHISPART

Reply to
gordo

My steering had no noticeable slop, but only made rattling sounds in slow cornering situations. The sound seemed to originate from under the dash or the floorboard. I crawled all over (and under) the car looking for loose objects or steering components. When I replace that part, the rattling sound went away.

Reply to
gordo

is it a clicking sort of ratcheting sound on left {sharp left turns} ? I went through this a few times on my '99 sport {actually, I just had it fixed yesterday for the 3rd time}, it was the drivers side front hub that went bad.

3 times in 6 years ???
Reply to
anonomizer

Just back few hours ago from Ford dealer. I have the same problem ( for 2 months ) as you describe , on a 2002 XLT , 28000 Miles. When I drive in the morning ( 25 miles ), no noise , everything is correct. Strangely , I can hear a knocking noise when driving back to home in the afternoon.It seems like a part of the steering wheel is missing and moving at low speed and medium speed. It's really annoying , and Ford Dealer has no solution.

Everything has been checked ( Suspension , transmission , tires , steering wheel ) and looks normal.

Is there a risk to drive the car ? I'm afraid nobody can answer.

Regards

ART

a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to