Noisey power steering

I have a 94 Explorer XL with 154000 km. Recently the power steering pump is whining alot. There are no leaks to be found and the fluid level is good.

Any thoughts as to what the problem may be?

I've noticed that the P/s fluid is quite dark and smells "burnt" - would changing the fluid help or is this an indication of something more expensive to come?

Tks, Gordon

Reply to
Savage

On my 92 XLT I made about 130k miles before I noticed this. I drained/ran/refileld the PS system about 5 times with M1 ATF. With the front wheels off the ground (and plenty of clearance for the stands) I ran the steering wheel lock-to-lock about 10 times in a row. Each refill of the system the fluid got cleaner.

The power steering has been quiet and more responsive since. The new fluid hasn't broken down yet, but I've only put another 70k on it :)

My 92's manual lists ATF as an acceptable power steering fluid (most PSF is just ATF dyed blue instead of red so its easy to figure out whats leaking from the color of the stain in your garage). Yours may no - you'll want to check.

JS

Reply to
Jacob Suter

Reply to
barrythedude - remove yer HAT and COAT to reply

Dude isn't that a little hardcore for something that might be fixed with a fluid change? These pumps like to make a lot of noise with bad fluid, and I haven't heard of many pump failures on these, except when ran low on fluid.

JS