noisy speedo and bouncing speedo 94 explorer

Hello I own a 94 explorer xlt 2wd. The speedo gauge started bouncing and I can hear the cable spinning behind the dashboard. My question is how do I replace or repair the bouncing speedo. Thank you saul

Never Forget

AbitRip

If you get to it in time you can probably fix this simply by lubing the cable. You'll have to pull the instrument cluster out. You have to release the cable from the back of the inst cluster to do that. It's hard to get you hand up there to do it but I've done it on mine a couple of times. Once you have the cable housing (which has the cable inside it) disconnected and finish removing the cluster you can pull the cable itself out of the cable housing. I'm sure you will find that its pretty dry with a sticky dark residue on it. Clean it with a good soaking with gasoline or brake cleaner or whatever you like to use to remove old grease, dry it, and then grease it well. I've always used white lube in the past but I'd be tempted to try silicone grease these days. Reassemble and all should be well.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

Question! Can I pull the cable out of the bottom of the car by the speed sensor. ?? Much easier access

Thank you for your time saul

Never Forget

AbitRip