NY State Inspection Emissions Failure

The night before I was to bring in my '98 Explorer for state inspection my check engine light came on. I corrected the problem and cleared the code and re-set the MIL light. The next morning the car failed due to OBD Monitor Readiness Status: Catalyst, Evaporative System and EGR System "Not Ready". Question: When the code was cleared and the MIL re-set did that also re-set the status of these monitors? From what I have found out so far, there are certain driving conditions that must be met for these tests to be performed. 3 days later I put an Autoray EZ-Read 1000 Code Reader on the car and ran the Monitor Option Menu to read the "Readiness Tests'. The 3 in question all showed a "Completed" status. Does this mean the OBD Monitor Readiness Status for these 3 tests are now "Ready" and the car will pass inspection?

Thanks for the help. Rob

Reply to
HrseyCar

Ahhh, the html is gone...

When you reset the codes on your car, you cleared part of the Keep Alive Memory and generated a P1000. This code indicates that not all of the systems monitors have completed (obviously, there was a problem and the codes were cleared and now the monitors have to run their program). A problem with one system can affect the performance of other systems.... thusly, clearing codes resets all the monitors back to "not ready". Some monitors take longer than others to complete... sometimes even over several drive cycles.

It is possible that all the monitors completed in the 3 days you describe... I live in a cold climate and it can take a long time for the EVAP monitor to complete.I am not familiar with the tool you describe, but if it says that all the monitors have completed, I have no reason to doubt it. On our tools, we would access mode 6 data and this would tell us which monitors haven't completed and give us an indication of why they haven't.

HTH

Thanks for the help. Rob

Reply to
Jim Warman