Odd shifting behavior

My '03 Explorer XLT V6 has been acting a little odd during slow acceleration from a stop. I can't reproduce this all the time, but sometimes when I start off from a stoplight using very little pressure on the pedal, I'll hear/feel the engine upshift to 2nd and then immediately downshift back into 1st until I pick up another MPH or two, then shift into 2nd again. From there on, it's smooth behavior but this rapid upshift/downshift is kind of annoying and makes me wonder what is going on internally. Any guesses?

dave

Reply to
Dave

I am getting the same behavior right now with my '97 Explorer. Have you heard of any feedback yet?

acceleration

Reply to
JWRump

Nope, and it was doing it again tonight. It's not bad enough for me to waste a day at the Ford dealership, but I'd like to know if this is going to get worse or leave me stranded somewhere.

dave

Reply to
Dave

Our '95 Eddie is doing similar to the same thing. Wasted two hours at the Dealership. They're novelty said "There's something leaking in the transmission." `Well thank you Mister Obvious. Who would have thought that a hydraulic unit wouln't work if there was a leak! Sorry folks, but stupidity is my weak point! At any rate, I'm going to replace the valve body gasket, shifting sensor as well as the ball bearings in the valve body. We'll keep you posted. Any new news since the last post?

Reply to
ShaneClara

My transmission blew last week after experiencing the same type of thing.

$2,150.

Reply to
Oz

Just to ask again, mine is an '03 XLT V6 and I'd really like to know if anybody else with a late-model XLT is having the same weird First-to-Second-First and back to Second shifting. We all know how bad the older models were (my '94 EB held up fairly well since I never towed anything) but I have no frame of reference with this newer one.

dave

Reply to
Dave

I have the same symptom on my 2000 Sport. The problem is much worse when the weather is cold. Ford replaced a gasket (valve body?) for many dollars which did not help at all. Fluid is clean and full. No leaks. Figure I will drive it until it blows up.

Steve R

Reply to
Stephen Read