odometer and trip odemeter not working

Have a '96 Explorer XLT V8 and odometer stopped working. Have 89 000 on vehicle. Spedometer still works fine. Any ideas? Help! Is this a thing that has to go to the dealer?

Thanks Jay

Reply to
Jay1028

I'm not familiar with that year, but I believe you have what looks like an old mechanical odometer, right? That is, numbers on wheels, not electronic LEDs.

I'm sure that it's not driven by a speedo cable, by 1996 it would use the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) signal. The VSS signal goes to the instrument panel, where some simple electronics convert the pulses to current that drives the speedo needle, and also a motor and gears that turn a mechanical odometer. (I had a bad speedo in my '94, which I replaced with one from a junkyard. In searching for an old cable-driven speedo, I saw this newer type and figured out how it worked.)

So if the speedo works, the signal is getting to the instrument panel, and at least part of the electronics is working. The problem might be a bad solder connection or other electronic fault in the odometer drive circuit, or a mechanical problem with the odometer mechanism. Those are my best guesses.

Depending on how handy you are, you could remove the instrument panel and fix it yourself, or replace it with one from a junk yard, or pay the dealer to install a new one.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

Funny thing now I am hearing a clicking sound that increases in repetition as speed increases. Cruise control still works. I found a site where a guy took the speedometer apart and actually replaced a bad plastic part with a stainless steel one he fabricated. He has no photo of it through.

Jay

Reply to
Jay1028

Yeah, the cruise control is like the speedo, it uses the vss signal so it figures that it would still work. I think you've zeroed in on the problem- the clicking must be coming from the mechanical part of the odometer. The electronics and motor must be working if it's clicking. It's probably something like a bad plastic gear.

So it's a matter of pulling the instrument panel and replacing it or swapping in a good odometer.

They probably used the same odo in other models. I got a replacement speedo for my Explorer from a Bronco. Ranger trucks are surely the same, and I believe some Ford/Mercury passenger cars use the same part. I was roaming Pick 'n Pull, not many Explorers in there.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

Try fiddling (push/pull it) with the trip odo reset button and see if you can unstick it. That worked for me once on my old Toyota.

Reply to
Al Williams

"Jay1028" wrote

Have 89 000

Haven't had that problem on my Explorer, but it has happened a couple of time on my Escort. I've found that if I locate a real bumpy road and drive up and down it a few miles the odometer starts working again. My guess is some bit of dirt gets in a gear and stops it from turning; when there is a lot of vibration the dirt particle falls away or crumbles.

Reply to
CWLee

I'll try the bumpy road idea. Sometimes it will work for a mile or so and then quit again. Sometimes it works in the morning when it is cold and sometimes is doesn't. Wish it would be consistent one way or the other. Looks like a bear to remove the speedometer. I'll just have to put up with it until someday it makes me so mad that I'll invest some time to try and take it out. Found a place in the internet in Tampa that will rebuild it for $129, but you have read you can't drive the car without the instrument cluster due to some electronics thing. Anyone know about this?

Jay

Reply to
Jay1028