Odometer on 1995 Explorer is stuck...

Does anyone know how to fix / or have any suggestions on how to fix an odometer on a 1995 Ford explorer XLT. It stuck at around 118,500 miles, I've driven around 3,000 miles and the odometer is now at 119,000 miles.

It works intermittently, sometimes if I push the trip odometer reset in, the main odometer will work for a mile or two.

Anyhow, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I had a similar situation on a '97 Escort. Never found the cause, but I discovered that riding over a rough country road seemed to fix it. I assume something was jammed somewhere, and the extra vibration broke it loose.

=============

how to fix an

miles and the

odometer reset in, the

Reply to
CWLee

Hmm, interesting. Then that gives me a place to start. I suppose I'll try and trace the odometer cable from the gauge back through the firewall to see if the cable is caught on something or kinked. (if that doesn't work I'll go find a nice bumpy road and give it a shot :-)

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Another thought:

You mentioned the odometer is stuck, but you said nothing about the speedometer being stuck. Therefore I assume it does indicate speed, but not distance. To me that means the cable is working just fine from wherever it starts to the dash board. I had assumed that the "something" that was stuck or jammed on mine was within the gears of the odometer, and that the rough road vibrations dislodged the bit of dirt/rock/insect that was the problem. Bottom line is if the speedometer is working normally, don't waste your time with the cable.

===================

suppose I'll try

the firewall to see

doesn't work I'll go

the

on

3,000
Reply to
CWLee

Bummer. The speedometer is working fine. Just the Odometer and Trip-Odometer that work intermittently. Luckily, tomorrow I'll be in an off road area, so I'll take it over some bumpy areas at a moderate clip :-)

On a side note, I looked at the odometer / speedometer housing when I had to take it out to replace the indash light bulbs, it didn't look as though I'd be able to get into there to inspect the inner workings. So, short of your bumpy road solution working (I hope it does), I don't see any other way to attempt to fix this thing without cracking it open, and that's libel to break the remaining functional components in there.

Reply to
Mike

Another approach I'd consider is taking an airhose, such as used to inflate tires, and see if I could find an opening in the S/O housing into which I could blow air. That might dislodge the (assumed) item that is jammed into the gears.

=============

intermittently.

take it over some

housing when I had to

look as though I'd

does), I don't see

cracking it open, and

in there.

nothing

it

the

the

the

line

your

start. I

through

that

found

country

jammed

message

suggestions

around

trip

Reply to
CWLee

Ok, follow up on the "drive down a bumpy road to un stick the odometer" solution.

It appears to have worked ;-)

200 or so miles and the odometer is still working. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Thanks for the closure. We hear about a lot of problems and mysteries on newsgroups, but often never hear the final chapter.

=============

the odometer"

for the

as