Oil filler cap line

On the tube leading into the engine there is a approx 3/4 " rubber hose located below the oil filler cap. This line does not connect to anything, just dead ends to the atmosphere. Is this right or is it supposed to be connected to something? I looked around, could find no oblivious place to connect it. 96 Explorer, 4.0 ovh engine. TIA, Jack

Reply to
jrchilds

I believe it goes into the exhaust manifold judging from these pics, although these pics:

Mikepier

I was trying to say although those pics are for a 99 Explorer, it should be similiar to a 96.

Reply to
Mikepier

Unfortunately, these pics just show the hose dead- ending as well. I think it has something to do with the PCV system.

Mikepier

This would be the fresh air supply for the crankcase (a part of the PCV system). The tube should connect to a nipple located somewhere along the (large) air cleaner tube - between the air filter and the throttle body. Probably not such a big deal, because the PCV system has very low air flow, but if the oil filler is open to the atmosphere, it's sucking some dust into the cranckcase. If you can't find a nipple (or hear a hiss from a hole), someone might have replaced the the air cleaner tube, perhaps to fit a non-OEM air filter case.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

That was it, just plugged it back in. The hose was pointing straight down, threw me off. Thanks! Jack

Reply to
jrchilds