Oil filter changing irritation and fuel filter question.

I have a 2002 FE XLT V8 and I am so remarkably pissed at myself for not being able to easily change this oil filter. The filter wrench I have can barely grip it and there are hoses in the way which make it virtually impossible to unscrew. On top of that my last oil change was in a shop and they tightened the hell out of the filter (normally I hand screw it on tight so I don't have to go through this ordeal). Anyhow, are there any tricks i'm missing here?

Also after doing all this work how do I get the service engine soon light to shut up? Or will it shut up on its own after the car thinks everything is ok?

I could just start yanking fuses I guess :)

Thanks!

Reply to
Some Dude

Make sure you have an oil filter wrench that fits well. I prefer the strap wrench but the plastic socket that fits over the end also works. If you do your own oil changes you will get a quick feel on how best to get the filter off. I've always thought my Explorer was the easiest vehicle to change the oil on. Mine has over 245000 miles and I've changed the oil every 3000 miles, ie. I've performed over 80 oil changes on this one vehicle. I've always liked that I don't have to jack up the Explorer to gain access to the filter. Mark

Reply to
Mark Barrett

you an american? if so I"LL help

Reply to
fordtech via CarKB.com

========================== What model do you have?

My current one is 2000 limited AWD V8 with 98354 miles on it. Used to have a

94 EB 4X4

When I got it with ~50k miles, it was using Mobil super syn. and I always change my oil and filter.

It is easy for me to get under the vehicle and in fact I might change it this week ... .....I shoot for about ~ every 5k between changes even though the synthetic oil claims you can go much more than that between changes.

Any one have thoughts on that?

fathergoose

Reply to
Fathergoose

I definitely have thoughts on the legimitate longevity of synthetic!

Fathergoose wrote:

Reply to
Some Dude