Original owners

Are there any other original owners of the original explorers 91/92 still left here ???

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Yep '91 XLT with 156,000 and a manual transfer case.

Reply to
John Normile

I bought my '91 and '92 used. But it was a long time ago.

Reply to
Ulysses

Wish mine was manual TC. I don't recall them even being available. Do you have manual transmission too?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Somebody at work bought a 1991/2 Explorer Sport and I really liked the looks of it. It was a revolutionary vehicle. I'd never seen anything like it (well, maybe there were Land Rovers, etc. in that era). But, by the time I got around to buying an Explorer, it was a 1993 Explorer Sport, Cayman Green, w/ 5 speed manual.

I still have it. It has 221,000 miles on it. I've put in a new fuel sender/fuel pump, new fan clutch, new clutch/pressure plate/slave cylinder, rebuilt the transmission, put new bearings in the rear end, and put a new windshield in (rock chip that grew and grew), spark plugs 3 times and spark plug wires once, new transfer case actuator, a fuel pump relay, new console bracket.

I paid $18,500 for the vehicle new and all told, I've probably spent about $4000 on maintenance including tires. I've done most of the work myself. It has never let me down (always started and never had to be towed). It's mostly been garaged at night. The original paint still looks good. The leather seats still look OK (a few cracks, but very serviceable for a 16 year old vehicle).

Perhaps the one laughable negative is that you can't use the cupholder because the shifter will hit the drink when shifting to reverse or

4th. In fact, the owner's manual tells you NOT to use the cup holder if you have the 5 speed manual transmission. That is a really stupid human factors design, wouldn't you say? It's in the owner's manual, so they clearly knew about it as a "defect". In the end, it's just a nit.

I love it. I really love it. I still drive it about 3000 miles a year. I couldn't get nearly enough money to replace the fun of driving it, so I'll never sell it..

Reply to
T.Wood

I don't own it any more, but I bought a new '92 EB 4-dr w/4WD in the Fall of '91--one of my favorite vehicles, ever. Fit me like a glove. I even tolerated the fact that the electro 4WD was hard to keep operative.

I would have put manual hubs on it, but I loaned it to a friend in

2003 and it burned up (literally) shortly thereafter--a leak somewhere in the fuel system, I think.

Jack

Reply to
Jack

Mine doesn't get driven much anymore but when I do drive it I'm often amazed at how well it's held up. It's our preferred vehicle for long trips due to the quietness, roominess, decent ride, comfortable seats, and good visibility. Gas mileage, not so much.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

My gas mileage isn't too bad - it was about 20 mpg when the Explorer was new and now it's about 18 mpg. For years, I could fill up for about $12. Last year hurt. This year not too bad.

Reply to
T.Wood

I bought mine in early 1992. Held on to it until a couple years ago. Sold it with a little over 200k on it. 1992 4dr 4WD auto, black with light grey leather sport seats. Still the original trans. I replaced head gaskets and intake gaskets on the engine, and had the diff rebuilt under warranty to cure a whine. Otherwise just consistent maintenence stuff. Car ran and looked great when I let it go to an employee who really needed something more reliable than his ancient Chev Cavalier for his growing family.

I think I can stake some sort of claim to earliest ownership on this list too.

Cheers!

dr bob

Asht>Are there any other original owners of the original explorers 91/92 >still left here ???

Reply to
dr bob

I think I bought mine in March or May of 92. Compared to my 76 Blazer it was like driving a Mercedes. I still marvel at how tight it is, no rattles at all except of an occasional clunk from the RABushings (those things are hopeless). It's our preferred car for long trips, comfortable seating, plenty of room.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher