Overdrive Queston

Hi all:

I am new to this group and this is my first post. (I own a 2000 Ford explorer sport with the most basic no frill engine.) Here the very newbie question: What purpose does the O/D serve? Should I leave it on or off? Someone told me that leaving the O/D on was essential for highway driving but a waste of fuel for city driving. Is this true? Does anyone actually know how the O/D works? Txs.

Reply to
thebloag

For decades, all most all normal transmissions (automatic or manual) highest gears were 1 to 1. That means that the output shaft turns 1 revolution for every 1 revolution of the input shaft. Now it is uncommon to find a vehicle that does not have overdrive.

Transmissions with "overdrive" have a higher (taller) gear, like .76 to 1. That means that the output shaft turns 1 revolution for every .76 revolutions of the input shaft. That gear is over driven. The engine spins fewer RPMs at the same travel speed, and torque is greatly reduced. For almost all but the most extreme driving conditions overdrive results in better fuel mileage.

I assume your transmission is an automatic? Generally the only time you should have to be concerned about taking your transmission out of "overdrive" would be if you were towing or hauling at or above you vehicles GCWR Gross Combined Weight Rating. If your transmission is continually hunting for a gear, shifting in and out of overdrive, you could use that as an indicator to leave overdrive off.

Reply to
351CJ

CJ,

Thanks for the quick reply! My transmission is indeed automatic. I shall leave the Overdrive on

--always, as I no towing at all. I live in drive in New Orleans, and the heaviest driving I do is in the Appalachian mountain roads with a loaded car. But from what I understand, leaving overdrive on is my best bet unless I need an inordinate amount of torque. Thanks again for your answer, and feel free to let me know if I somehow misunderstood you!

Reply to
thebloag

Reply to
Big Shoe

Interesting. I was wondering about the lack of breaking even when coming down the rae 'hills' in New Orleans.... Plus the lack of overdrive would help to 'climb' the mountains too

--right? THe rest of the time, I am leaving it on.

THanks to all for the info., I really apreciatte it.

Reply to
thebloag

Well, you seem to me to be putting on your coat and hat before checking to see if it's cold outside. If you are going up and down hills then your transmission will be "hunting" for the right gear (D or OD) and that's probably not good for your transmission. Probably best to put in in D unless you are going to be on a straight stretch for a while, over, say, 45 mph. If you are driving around the city not going over 35 then you'll probably want to keep it in D. Your transmission will most likely let you know at what speed it likes to go into OD so after you get familiar with your car you'll have a good idea when to switch to OD and when to stay in D.

Reply to
Ulysses

Ulysses, how does my transmission let me know what I need to do....(I have an automatic if it matters)

Well this complicates things a bit... So if I stay under 35 and just do city driving stay out of O/D So concretly O/D should really be used when I am on the interstate, I guess.

I realize these must be mega-newbie questions, and I must confess that I am now more confused than ever....

Reply to
thebloag

Your transmission shifts into overdrive under 35 miles per hour? Maybe with no load, but not if you are accelerating. Check that and get back to us.

If you are not experiencing any gear hunting (Shifting in and out of overdrive) don't worry about taking it out of overdrive. The engine braking comments may apply to you, try it and see, that is a simple downshift...

Otherwise, leave it in overdrive except for the most sever conditions.

Reply to
351CJ

"Otherwise, leave it in overdrive except for the most sever conditions. "

Ok, I will, but why did another poster recommend I take it off OD if I am doing city driving under 35 mph?

Is he wrong, or is this an accepted difference of opinion?

Reply to
thebloag

I leave my O/D on just about all the time, except going up OR down steep grades. I also turn it off for quick high speed passing. We get great gas mileage, 19 city/ 24 Highway 4.0 SOHC. I have 94,000 on her now. I attribute this gas mileage to the way I maintain the vehicle and the use of Mobile one oil. In occasion I pull our POP UP when I do I seem to be turning off the O/D more often but you will know when you need that extra torque, you'll just feel it.

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher1

What I was trying to say was that if you can "feel" the transmission shifting in and out of OD then you should shift down to D. This may save some wear on your transmission and possibly extend it's life a bit.

If your engine feels like it's lagging on upgrades you should shift down to D. I also generally turn of my AC going up hills and while passing. This gives you a little extra power.

That is my opinion. You can try leaving it in OD for city driving and see if it is trying to shift into OD but this probably won't happen until you get going around 45 or so.

Sorry. All I'm trying to say is that it's probably better to use on not use OD in such a way that it will repeatedly shift in and out of OD. You can leave it in OD while going in the city etc because it won't try to shift to OD at that point. But then there is no point in putting it in OD at that speed.

Reply to
Ulysses

If I said that then I was lying (just kidding). No, it doesn't shift into OD at 35. Somewhere around 45. I'm just trying to get him to understand how to avoid gear hunting. Somewhere around 40-45 seems to be a bad spot where it keeps going in and out of OD. A 5 mph safety margin if you will.

Reply to
Ulysses

Reply to
Big Shoe

That was good idea, looking at the owner's manual. Too bad I lost mine! Does anyone know what the OM for the 2000 says?

I had another question about which is the best explorer year model, and which is the worst, but I guess I'll creat another post for that one... Thanks again

Reply to
thebloag

I leave mine off in city traffic (regular streets) and turn it on when I'm on a road where I'll be traveling over, say, 45mph or so.

I like the extra engine braking I get on city streets with the OD off.

Alan Moorman

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Paul Fix

Reply to
Alan Moorman

No, mine doesn't, but I have a noticeable bit of engine braking when the OD is off in those situations. With it on, the car seems to free wheel when I take my foot off the gas. (Seems..... yeah I know it really DOESN'T free wheel.)