Owner's Guide doesn't match vehicle!!!

Hi,

I bought a used '01 Explorer Sport. It didn't have an Owner's Guide, so I downloaded one from Ford. When I did my 1st oil change, the specified oil filter didn't fit! I went back to the Ford website and created a profile of my vehicle (submitted VIN). I then downloaded another Owner's Guide. This time the oil filter part number was correct.

Well, I thought all was well until an hour ago when I read the section on 4wd. It said I had auto 4wd. I don't. The knob I have has "2wd-4wd high-4wd low". The manual says it should have "auto-4wd high-4wd low". But, get this--the other manual with the wrong oil filter number has the correct 4wd stuff.

Possibly related, a couple of weeks ago, I went in to get another key made (PATS key). When they (Ford service) looked it up, they said their documentation says I should be using a different key. They programmed the one their doc said to use & it didn't work. Then they programmed one similar to the one I had and it worked. They looked at the sticker in the driver's side door and told me I had a '00 Ford (manufacture date 5/00)! I was upset (thought someone had cheated me), so I looked at the VIN--it said it was an '01.

Anyone know what the heck is going on? It appears Ford can't give me a proper Owner's Guide??? All I want is proper documentation. Could it perhaps not be a "Sport" model? I doubt that's it though.

I'll probably go to Ford service to see if they can help me, but I'm not too optimistic.

Thanks for your help!

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Strange... Just a thought... Have you tried a carfax report? Not saying it would turn up anything, but then again??

Good luck,

Steven

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf
2001 was a confusing year because that is when the Explorer and Explorer Sport were split into distinctly different platforms and the Explorer Sport Trac was introduced. The Explorer Sport was restyled for 2001. The 4 Dr Explorer was a carry over from 2000 that was replaced in February of 2001 by the all new 2002 Explorer Are you sure you got the Explorer SPORT Manual the first time? I just down loaded one from
and it appears to be the correct manual. Prior to 2001 all Explorer Manuals were combined into one (Explorer, Explorer Sport). It is possible that there is some confusion because of the way the split was handled in 2001. Early 2001 Sport Models probably continued to share the owner's guide with 2001 4 Door Explorers. For later 2001 models there is a separate Explorer Sport Owner's Guide. Ford changed the PATs system on Explorer Sports during the 2001 Model year, so it is possible that the dealer is just confused about the keys. Early 2001 models would have the same PATS keys as 2000 models.Later 2001's would have the newer style keys. Your Explorer Sport is obviously a very early build 2001 Model, and probably used the same keys as 2000 year models. The official model year has nothing to do with when the truck was assembled. I am sure you realize that dealers have been selling 2006 models for many months even though we are still in 2005. The official model year has more to do with emission and safety requirements applied to the vehicle that anything else these days. As for the Oil Filter. Prior to 2001, Ford recommended FL-1A oil filters for the 4.0L engines (both OHV and SOHC). For 2001 and beyond, they changed the recommendation to FL-820S. Both filters have the same threads and gasket diameter and can be interchanged, assuming there is enough room. The FL-820S has a better anti-drain back valve and is shorter. I'd use the FL-820S since that is what is recommended for a 2001 4.0L SOHC engine.

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
Ed White

Steven,

I got a carfax before I bought it...

Reply to
Jim

Ed,

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the history--it helps tie things up for me.

As for the downloaded manuals, the first one I got was a 6th edition (the latest). The one I got when I entered my VIN had no "edition", so I assume this was the 1st. That seems to go with what you said. So, the stuff about the AWD mentioned in the older manual that has the correct oil filter must be a carryover from 2000?

I know the model year sometimes doesn't correspond to the build year. They've been doing that for years. But, I've never had issues using the model year for parts. I hope I don't run into problems about this. I've always used the model year for ordering parts. Should I be using build year? Somehow I bet I get a different answer from everyone I ask. :)

As for the oil filters, I could've sworn the FL-820S didn't fit. When I do my next oil change, I'll try it again (I still have it).

Thanks again!

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Jim,

I just checked and I am wrong about the filters. The FL-820S has different threads (M22x1.5-6H) than the FL-1A (3/4-16 UNF-2B). I looked in the Purolator Catalog and they list the FL-820S equivalent for Explorer Sports with the 22mm threads and the FL-1A Equivalent for 3/4 inch thread. Probably another mid-year change. Sorry about the missinformation. The "short" FL-1A is a FL-300.

Whenever you order parts, just make sure you tell them the build date. It is not uncommon for things to change during a model year based on build dates.

The PATS system changed for Explorer Sports built after July 24, 2000 (Before July 24, 200 the Sports used PATS System Type B, after July 24,

200, Sports used PATS System Type E).

I am not sure when they changed the oil filter adapter to the 22mm thread. It might also be that the oil filter adapter is related to whether or not your vehicle has an oil cooler. The Fram catalog lists different oil filters for the 4.0L SOHC depending on whether it has an oil cooler (FL820S equivalent) or not (FL1A equivalent).

Ed

Reply to
Ed White