P0442 Code

My 1998 Explorer V-8 AWD has a code of P0442 - Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (Small Leak). I tried changing the gas cap but still get the same code. From what I'ved read, it could be a tiny pin hole in a line or the canister is failing. Where is the evaporator canister located? If the hole could be that small, how can it be located? Any other ideas to what the problem is?

Thanks. Rob

Reply to
HrseyCar

Could be cannister, lines, the tank, purge solenoid, vent solenoid... even that shiney new cap.... Cannister is located underneath the car with a favourite place on RWD and 4X4 being above the rear axle.

In the shop, we would use a smoke generator to charge the system with - well... smoke. A scan tool capable of active ommand mode is used to close the vent solenoid and the system is checked for signs of smoke getting out. A handheld halogen spotlight helps show small wisps.

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman