Paper Thin "Leather" On '03`

Do any of you have the problem with the paperthin "leather" like I have on my '03 Mountaineer? It's especially bad on the outside driver's seat, where you "swing" to get out. 15,000 miles/1 yr...shouldn't be this way.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

DD--

If the surface you are referring to is not a part where your body touches the seat while driving, it isn't leather. The "leather seating surfaces" option is just exactly what it says. The non-seating surfaces of the seat are plastic.

dr bob

Reply to
dr bob

Whatever. Then it's paperthin plastic. I just want it right.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

A lot has to do with our expectations and a lot has to do with how we perform simple actions. My '02 SuperCrew has quite a deep "dish" into the seating area, offering side bolsters to reduce sliding during extreme maneuvers. These side bolsters are mere cloth and padding on a metal frame. If I continually slide my failing old girth across the bolster, I will surely destroy it in short order. However, if I lift myself from the seat and actually 'climb' out of the truck, the seat should last for several years.

Including the current seat 'recall' (which doesn't appear to affect Canada, as yet), all of the seat failures in any makes I have serviced can be attributed to either careless or cavalier use or (in the case of loose fasteners) inattention to required service.

In north america, by and large, the consensus is "if it'll move, keep driving...... ". It is only when they absolutely wont do what they have to do that most folks fix anything.

You see two kinds of folks on this NG..... those that look after their iron and love it with all of it's idiosyncrasies and them other folks....

Jim Warman