Power Steering Fluid Change?

Hi - I own a '98 Ford Explorer with about 94k. When I had it in for service today (not a dealer), they recommended changing the power steering fluid because it was dark. I guess I've overlooked this in the past, but changing this fluid has never been on my maint sked, and I can't find anything in my manual's recommended maintenance.Any advice or opinions? Thanks. ~OC~

Reply to
OysterCracker

Yes, and make sure you have them install some "AmsAir" synthetic air in the tires too... Conventional air contains moisture and promotes dry-rot. AmsAir's synthetic forumula safely pressurizes your tires, seals punctures, and makes your tires last longer! It's only $8.95 per can 2 to 3 cans will fill the average SUV tire!

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Reply to
stevef

I don't agree with the other two folks. Stuff deteriorates with heat and time. Personally I change the all the fluids (brake, PS, trans, ...) every three years or 30K miles, oil more frequently.. The old Taurus hasn't failed to serve me well (knock on wood).

Reply to
Bill

Ha ha ha, you're a real comedian. Thanks for the laugh. If I accidentally posted to alt.outofwork.comedians, please forgive me. I understand the garage is after my money, that's a way of life around here. I just asked a simple question. Am I making a mistake by not replacing this fluid? Thanks. ~OC~

Reply to
OysterCracker

Reply to
stevef

Get a small pump and pump it out, replace with Mobil Synthetic ATF. I use a pump designed for applying lub to the lower unit of your outboard motor to remove my old power steering fluid. Clean oil just makes parts last longer.

R> Hi - I own a '98 Ford Explorer with about 94k. When I had it in for service

Reply to
RON & MAGGIE

Can't remember my old '98 (traded it in on 9/02,) but don't most of them have a ps cooler on the rack/pinnion gear (our '02 does) and just slip off a hose from the cooler and let it just run out? wth

Reply to
wth

The dark colour, especially if there is an associated odour, indicates that something may already be hurtin'. Still, it can't hurt to change the fluid. Simply drawing the fluid from the reservoir will leave twice the fluid in the rest of the system (lines, cooler, steering box).... two people working together can flush the system with fresh fluid in short order but it can be messy and will require several litres of fluid to be complete.

Simply sucking out the reservoir and refilling is ineffectual.

Jim Warman