Power Window Motor removal

94 EB 4 door with power windows. got the door panels off. drilled out the pop rivets. motor is hanging loose except for electical connection and 2 cable connections that transfer power to the up and down mechanism. I disconnected the electrical connection however I HAVE NOT figured out how to remove the other 2 connections.

HELP !!!

Sam in Raleigh.

Reply to
Sam

I figured it out. After removing the pop rivets.....I put my hand back in the door to hold the motor ..moved the motor into position so as to be able to access the screws that attach the motor to the mount assembly that attaches to the door. I manipulated the motor so that one at a time each screw was over one of the holes in the door thus allowing me to access the screw with a drive. The screws that attach the motor to the mount assembly had square holes for drive. I do not know what you call that kind of drive but I had one and was able to remove the screws. The screws were long and once removed the motor assembly split in two which separated the motor from the drive mechanism that has the cables that crank the window up and down. I removed the separated half which contained the motor assembly.

I first removed the service cover for the drive gear and what a mess. A bunch of plastic pieces were in bits and pieces thus becoming apparent why the motor was just free spinning. The little plastics pieces were the little cams which transferred power from the motor drive gear to the shaft which spins the metal gear that meshes with the gear mechanism of the cable assembly still left in the door. I totally disassembled the window motor to clean the plastic pieces. This caused the repair to take much longer because the brushes popped out and the springs went sailing away never to be found. I removed a couple of push button ball point pens to use their springs for the tension the brushes need to push against the armature. What a time I had getting the brushes to stay after installing the brushes. I had to carefully insert the grease seal with enough clearance remaining to provide the stopper needed to hold the brushes in place until I could put the cover back on.

I put the window motor all back together and reattached it to the motor mount assembly with the long screws. Then the mount assembly had to be mounted to the door however there were no pop rivets any more. I used some 2 inch long machine screws with washers and lock washers. I routed the power cord to its connection and tested the window.

WOW...the motor was is so quiet and works perfectly. I attached the speaker to the door and then installed the door skin. Made sure all was back together.

I am now finished with door one with 3 more left. I will get these done this week at night in the garage.

I took pictures but some of them did not focus too well. I will take some better pictures this week of the other doors. I will post an update about the project with picture info if you want. Just let me know here.

Thanks,

Sam in Raleigh.

Reply to
Sam

Sam, when you get a chance I would like to see your pictures of this.. jim

Reply to
Jim

I am going to take some better pictures today when I continue the job..

I completed both drivers side doors. Awesome!

Last night I started on the passenger side front door. The window came off the track and I had to learn how to glass back on track. Now I have to remove the motor again as I did not install it at the right point along the guide as the motor gear teeth and guide gear teeth are meshing at the wrong point. When I removed the guide to address an issue I had a hard time getting the spring loaded gear on the guide at the right position. I thought I had it in the right position and once put back together the window motor did not mesh properly so I stopped immediately and went to bed.

Will get back on it today.

Sam in Raleigh.

Reply to
Sam

Sam, Do you have the pictures of motor assembly? All four of my windows are shot and I'm starting with the drivers side first.

I'd like to ask a few questions. My motor spins, but nothing happens. Do know what the signs of a bad regulator vs. the motor?

I read alot of people talking about replacing plastic pieces in the motor assembly, but what do they look like and where do they go?

Thanks Paul

Reply to
fladevil

Yes I still have the photos I took when I rebuilt my window motor assembly.

What is your email address?

mine is snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

-Sam in Raleigh.

Reply to