power window stuck in down position. Yikes!!!

1994 Explorer XLT driver's window stuck in down position. Fuse ok. All other power windows function. Door panel has been removed and now I'm looking for anything that might cause this problem. Window motor does not make noise or attempt to move glass. Switch seems ok. Happened only once before, but corrected itself. Happed without warning or slowness, ect.

Thoughts??

Thanks!! df

Reply to
d. freem

Check with a meter to see if the motor is gettin 12V. If it is, hit the motor with a hammer as you hit the button. It could be the motor has a dead spot.

Reply to
Mikepier

If you have no meter, wiggle the power connection to the motor. It's most likely getting power to the plug if the other windows work.

Hitting with a hammer is probably the best bet since that motor gets the most use, it undoubtedly has a few dead spots in it and is sitting on one right now.

Reply to
Mark

Had this happen to me while on vacation on an ISLAND!!!

I could tell the motor was still getting voltage since it seemed to try and move while pressing the UP button (interior lights would dim due to the current draw). So I concluded that the motor needed some help since I wasn't going to attempt and take the door panel apart while on vacation on an island.

So in desperation, I slammed the door closed as hard as I could while pressing the UP button. Just keep slammin.....

Eventually the window came up. This was several years ago and it hasn't happened again.

Good luck.

Reply to
Phil

Many times the symptoms being described in this thread are solved with a new switch.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Hmmmm, the last 20 window problems I did the motor was stuck...............

Reply to
johanb

I'm about 50-50

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

My driver side rear window got stuck. It went down but wouldn't go back up. It turned out that the window lock button in the cockpit was stuck somewhere between on and off. I pushed it and the window now goes back up (down too!). Probably the only thing that was ever that easy to fix on my Explorers. I guess this wouldn't apply if it's the driver's window though.

Reply to
Ulysses

Eureka!! fyi Turns out the drivers window has a added gizmo for the "express down" function that seems to be the issue with my power window. It's something to the effect of a relay called "window control assembly". That explains some missing voltage and no slowing of the window motor prior to failure!

best wishes! dan

Reply to
d. freem